Nikon body to third party lens compatability

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited December 16, 2007 in Cameras
I've read a few times how Nikon accepts other lens types. Like Pentax (if I'm not mistaken).

2 part question:

What types of glass (other than Nikkor) fits on a Nikon body?

Are there any hidden gems out there that I should be looking at? (In a cost to performance ratio kind of way)

Thanks for your answers,

Cheers,
-Jon

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've read a few times how Nikon accepts other lens types. Like Pentax (if I'm not mistaken).

2 part question:

What types of glass (other than Nikkor) fits on a Nikon body?

Are there any hidden gems out there that I should be looking at? (In a cost to performance ratio kind of way)

Thanks for your answers,

Cheers,
    -Jon

Nikon is relatively poor at accepting older manual focus lenses from other manufacturer mounts because of a relatively long distance from the lens flange to focal plane (46.5 mm).

Of the popular types of lens mounts, only the Leica R and T2 mounts would allow a simple mechanical adapter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy.

Can't hurt to dream something I could have for my camera not cost an arm and an leg.

Cheers,
    edited December 16, 2007
    Nikon, and some of the Nikon mount third party manufacturers, made some splendid manual focus lenses, especially the faster primes.

You would have to manual focus and set the exposure manually, but they can be very good values. (You have to meter externally on the D50.)

Just stay away from the pre-AI lenses and you should be relatively safe.
    ziggy53
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    So if I made an investment in some MF glass. Woud it make sense to invest in catz eye optics? (I think that's what it's called) I'm always on full manaul anyway, but don't MF that much since the AF systems on even the lower end DSLR's are fantastic to me.

Are there manufacturers to look at and ones to stay away from?

I know allot of this can be opinion Ziggy. But I value yours since your so immersed in this stuff all the time. So don't hesitate to give your thoughts. I'll take them at face value.

Cheers,
    -Jon
    edited December 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So if I made an investment in some MF glass. Woud it make sense to invest in catz eye optics? (I think that's what it's called) I'm always on full manaul anyway, but don't MF that much since the AF systems on even the lower end DSLR's are fantastic to me.

Are there manufacturers to look at and ones to stay away from?

I know allot of this can be opinion Ziggy. But I value yours since your so immersed in this stuff all the time. So don't hesitate to give your thoughts. I'll take them at face value.

Cheers,
    -Jon

The "Katz Eye™ Focusing Screen for the
    Nikon D50" looks like a very viable option. On some cameras, normal operation can be affected, but the D50 screen doesn't seen to have any problems. Since the camera is not designed for easy screen replacement there is a procedure to follow, but it doesn't look too bad.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Nikon-D50-Focusing-Screen--prod_D50.html

Also look at viewfinder magnifiers to use as a focussing aid. (That's what I use as I have several dSLRs.)
    ziggy53
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    manual focus lenses
    http://forum.manualfocus.org/

have a search through this site-full of manual focus nuts

some very nice old nikkor and nikon glass to be had-180mm/f2.8 and 200mm/f2.0 are very nice,20mm lenses are also very good ,as are long telephotos such as 600mm/f5.6 etc
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy.

Can't hurt to dream something I could have for my camera not cost an arm and an leg.

Cheers,
    You can still dream. Do some more homework...

mandatory reading:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/lens2.htm
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/
    http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

The beauty of Nikon is that if you watch out for the pre-AI flanges, F-mount is F-mount. When I was shooting Nikon, one of the best bargains I found was the 105mm macro. Dead sharp, great color, who needs AF in a macro anyway? Just a couple hundred bucks.
    nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]