Original CS academic upgrade question

GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Finishing School
I hope someone can help, but I realize this is a pretty specific question.
We have the original Creative Suite which was bought (legally) as an academic version. We can still legally buy academic software and have now got Intel based Macs, so I'm thinking of upgrading to CS3. Does anyone know if you can upgrade just one part of the Creative Suite and still qualify for the upgrade price..? I find that I really only use Photoshop from the suite, so it seems a bit pointless to buy the whole thing. Once they're installed, do they function as separate programs..? Basically, can I buy Photoshop CS3 Upgrade and install it over the original Creative Suite..?

As an aside, Creative Suite has become so many products and is so confusing, I'd be afraid I'd bought the wrong version..! Have they been taking their lead from the Vista product line..!? :rolleyes

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    I originally bought one of the Suites with PS 7, Illustrator, Premier, etc when PS 7 first came out. I have since upgraded PS to CS, CS2, and now CS3, which I moved to the Mac version at the same time. But not the others.

You CAN upgrade only one app if you want. But you pay the upgrade price for that app as if it was the only one you have. What you have to be careful of is later upgrading another one, then another, and soon it would have been cheaper to upgrade the whole suite.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I originally bought one of the Suites with PS 7, Illustrator, Premier, etc when PS 7 first came out. I have since upgraded PS to CS, CS2, and now CS3, which I moved to the Mac version at the same time. But not the others.

You CAN upgrade only one app if you want. But you pay the upgrade price for that app as if it was the only one you have. What you have to be careful of is later upgrading another one, then another, and soon it would have been cheaper to upgrade the whole suite.

Thanks..! I'll look carefully at what I'm getting but if I get PS CS3 I think I'll have all I'm likely to use.
  • GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Problem
    Well, that didn't seem to work. I bought and downloaded the PS CS3 upgrade from Adobe and went to use it... I said it was an upgrade, so I needed to put in the serial number from the original (didn't have to install the old version which was good) but it wouldn't take an original Creative Suite serial # as a valid one to upgrade from. Some of the elements of CS were serialized separately, but Photoshop doesn't seem to be.
    I would call Adobe, but I found somewhere with academic prices for CS3 the same as Adobe charges for the upgrade, so I'm going with a refund and a new academic suite...
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Just for future reference:
    You may see chatter on the web about concerns of buying student licensed Adobe software. It's all rubbish.
    Adobe treats an academic product just like any other registered product. Once your a registered owner. You can upgrade w/ no worries. Be it student or retail licensed.

I actually bought CS3 Web Premium through an academic reseller vs. upgrading since the discount was greater than upgrading. (and there was no 'web' package before as well.

Since I'm slowly chipping away at my masters. I'll have at least a few more years of killer discounts, so I'm taking advantage of it!