Options

What the difference between Canon and Sigma Ringlights?

NickshuNickshu Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 12, 2005 in Cameras
I'm like a kid in a candy store having found this site. Wish I would have found it when I was shopping for my camera.

Anyhow, is there any advantage to me spending an extra $110 to exchange my Sigma Ringlight for a Canon MR-14EX RingFlash??

Sigma seems like it will work fine for my clinical dental photography, but I'm not sure if the Canon light is any better....or would I just be paying for the name??

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 12, 2005
    Nickshu wrote:
    I'm like a kid in a candy store having found this site. Wish I would have found it when I was shopping for my camera.

Anyhow, is there any advantage to me spending an extra $110 to exchange my Sigma Ringlight for a Canon MR-14EX RingFlash??

Sigma seems like it will work fine for my clinical dental photography, but I'm not sure if the Canon light is any better....or would I just be paying for the name??

Thanks!

If you're satisfied with the Sigma, why replace i? It is working, right??

The Canon MR-14EX is nice ( I happen to own one ) because you can vary the lighting ratio between the two tubes in it up to 16 to 1, I believe. But for dental photography I doubt this will be useful for you.

The ability to vary the lighting is most useful with short macros lenses with near subjects - it does not actulaly seem very useful with a 180 macro for instance. Probably a lot more meaningful for a 50mm macro shooting bugs or coins very close to the lens surface.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NickshuNickshu Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you're satisfied with the Sigma, why replace i? It is working, right??

The Canon MR-14EX is nice ( I happen to own one ) because you can vary the lighting ratio between the two tubes in it up to 16 to 1, I believe. But for dental photography I doubt this will be useful for you.

The ability to vary the lighting is most useful with short macros lenses with near subjects - it does not actulaly seem very useful with a 180 macro for instance. Probably a lot more meaningful for a 50mm macro shooting bugs or coins very close to the lens surface.
    The Sigma does the same thing. Two flashes, can turn off one or the other, or vary the intensity between the two at many different ratios.

Thanks for the advice. I just got it yesterday, so I was thinking I could still exchange it if there was some feature I am missing out on, but I'll keep the Sigma....it sounds like they are comparable.