Smoky flavours

sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Holy Macro
Okay, this has been tried and tested several times, I know, but I had to figure it out for myself too :D

Any comments/suggestions for improvement welcome!

232430188-M.jpg

232407961-M.jpg

232411777-M.jpg

232414688-M.jpg

232352581-M.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Beautiful pictures Sunita mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    I want to try too!:D These are great--I like the color(s). The last one is fantastic!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Thanks, Awais and TLee, for your kind comments. Glad you like them :-)
    They are not that hard to get - the main trick is to get the lighting right and the rest is cropping and coloring in PS. There are several tutorials on the web, but if you need specifics, I'll be happy to help!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    Okay, this has been tried and tested several times, I know, but I had to figure it out for myself too :D

Any comments/suggestions for improvement welcome!

These are beautiful Sunita clap.gif
    The very last image looks like a lovely silk ribbon.

You've done a great job of these, love the colours,
    I am interested to know how you created these too.

Great choice of colours too clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Lovely series Sunita - This is still on my to try list.
    Brian V.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I tried some tonight and couldn't even come close. Your colors are nice, and silky.
    Growing with Dgrin

• sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Thanks Skippy, Brian and Leaforte for your kind comments! :D

Okay, here's what I did. I first scouted the internet for tutorials on photographing smoke and came across Graham Jeffrey's site: http://www.sensitivelight.com/smoke2/. It seems like he is THE guru on capturing smoke...

Anyway, as he (and others) emphasize, lighting is key here and use of an external flash seems to be necessary. My set-up is a lot more crude - I put a black T-shirt over my desktop monitor and placed the burning incense stick in front of it. I placed my table lamp (from IKEA) to the right of and very close to the incense stick. Then, I sat in front of the incense and turned on my on-camera flash, set the f stop to 13 and the shutter speed to 1/200 and ISO 100 and clicked away using manual focus - very close to the beginning of the smoke or wherever the wisps seemed interesting. (I did all of this at night, btw). It helps to have a draft-free room - that way the smoke moves slowly, however, it becomes an issue after a few minutes in that it creates clouds of smoke that can creep into your photo.

Once I have enough photos where the wisps of smoke look almost white (they are the best 'quality' wise), I go to Photoshop and darken (or lighten) the b/g and introduce the colors. I used the gradient tool for the multicolor shots and the marquee tool for selecting the wisps vs/ b/g.

I think an off-camera flash would probabyl work better, maybe even allow you to go to lower f stops and higher shutter speeds, but I have't tried that as yet.

I updated my site with more photos from last night :
    http://sunita.smugmug.com/gallery/3996509/

Well, that's pretty much it! Hope this helps and have fun! thumb.gif
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Beautiful smoke pics.....they remind me of the Fractals i do...but now you have given details of how to do I will have a go.....have you ever merged a few together...could give an interesting picture???

Patricia........:D