Mack lens repair dilemma

aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited December 19, 2007 in Cameras
Hi All,

I have recently received my lens back from repair by Mack. It is a Zuiko 14-54 f2.8 with a bh price of $424. The aperature stopped working and they replaced the diaphram and it is working fine now. My problem is that the inside of the lens has a lot of dust now. It has noticably affected image quality.

I have heard so many horror stories about Mack and I am now only buying olympus warranties. My question is, should I send it to olympus for cleaning or is this something that can be done locally. I am worried that if I send it to Mack, it will come back even worse.

Just looking for some opinions other than my own. Thanks much!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 17, 2007
    I would photographically document the problem and then contact Mack and tell them that you no longer have any confidence in their service and send them the images as part of the documentation. See if they respond with a satisfactory solution, like a replacement.

You can always use Olympus service if needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I would photographically document the problem and then contact Mack and tell them that you no longer have any confidence in their service and send them the images as part of the documentation. See if they respond with a satisfactory solution, like a replacement.

You can always use Olympus service if needed.
    Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for your response. That does seem like the logical recourse, but from what I have been hearing on some of the forums, it may be more aggravation than its worth. I wish I would have checked into this before I bought the warranty.

I may find out what olympus would charge...
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Honestly the two times I have had to use them everything went 100% ok. I would contact thier customer service and let them know it is still problematic.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net