Options

Resizing images for Smug Mug galleries????

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in Finishing School
I have a question on resizing images that has started to confuse me a bit - pretty much why is it done (if you do not do your own printing)?
Let me explain a bit and hopefully someone can get me out of the confusion can.

I understand that resizing images will allow for maximum resolution at a particular print size - say original size is 16x24 @ 240dpi and you know you want to print at 8x10 - you can resize this image to the smaller print size and increase the dpi to 300 effectively increasing the images print quality. So everytime someone orders that print in a different size is it necessary to resize the image every single time? What if they want multiple sizes - 5x7, 8x10, etc, is it necessary to resize the original for each print size?
Here is my situation - I upload my photos onto my SM web gallery (high resolution jpegs), people can order any size print they want - I assume there is not need for me to resize any images - just leave tham at their maximum settings since effectively I have no idea what print size they are going to order until I see the order placed. I can replace the photo in my gallery resized if necessary, but I guess my question is - is it really necessary?

Just looking for some additional education on this subject matter.
Thanks,
Michael