Options

Deciding between a Canon XTi or 40D..

GixsterGixster Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 18, 2007 in Cameras
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I have lurked for quite a while and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here! Hopefully some of you can help point me in the right direction.

I used to have a Rebel XT, and I liked that camera alot. However, I no longer have it or any of my accessories, so I need to replace it. Here's my question.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Local camera shop is running a sale right now on the Rebel XTi. Body, 18-55 lens, 75-300 lens, and a 1gb card for $750. Seems like a pretty good deal from the pricing I've run into lately, or........

Then there's the 40D! I've been considering this one too. It is about double the XTi pricewise, and I wouldn't get the 75-300 lens or the 1gb card at $1500. Not too worried about the card honestly, as I'll need more than 1gb anyway.

Now, my question is this. Considering that I am still entirely amateur level, will *I* notice a difference by stepping up to the 40D, other than the rubberized grip, and a .5" larger screen?

The money isn't the issue. I just want to make sure that I get the right camera for my skill level without wasting money. I do want to get into more photography though, but I'll never be a pro.

So, for those of you that have forgotten more about cameras than I know, help me out! Thank you!
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Gixster wrote:
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]

The money isn't the issue.
    [/FONT]

Basically answer is inside your quest already mwink.gif
    Of course if - [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] The money isn't the issue -

40D

+ some good lenses + flash + few gadgets and you on the market thumb.gif

[/FONT]
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Have you tried holding them both? I haven't used either, but my wife has an XT and I find its handgrip uncomfortably small. It fits her hands great though and was the main deciding factor in her chosing it. I test drove a k10d at the camera store a few days ago and really liked the feel of it. Also liked the feel of the 40D but haven't taken any pics with either.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Since you used to have the XT, I'm sure you would notice quite a bit of difference between the XTi and the 40D. I just got the 40D, after having a Minolta Maxxum 5D for two years, and the list of differences between an entry-level DSLR and a step-up is quite long, IMO. You say you'd like to get into photography more...well, if money isn't an issue, then I'd get the 40D. It will give you tons of growing room! Of course, another option would be to get the XTi with some nice lenses, or even better, the 40D with some nice lenses! :D

EDIT: If you really want to grow in photography, I'd buy what you can afford now (40D?), rather than buying a camera body now and then wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    40d!

:D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited December 17, 2007
    Gixster,

The Canon XTi/400D is an entry level, consumer dSLR. The Canon 40D is targeted to the prosumer and low-end pro photographer.

Comparing the two:

The 40D is a bit heavier, about half again. This is mostly due to a cast and machined magnesium chassis on the 40D versus a stamped stainless steel chassis on the XTi. Both are covered in a fiber-filled plastic body and both are perfectly capable of handling long and heavy lenses (lest someone tell you differently.)

The 40D has approximately twice the shooting performance of the XTi, due mostly to a faster frame rate, a larger shot buffer and slightly better autofocus section, especially with lenses of f5.6 or faster.

Both cameras have similar high-ISO noise, but the 40D also has a competent ISO 3200.

The 40D has a spot metering capability.

The 40D has a live view capability.

Will you notice a difference? It's frankly hard to miss the differences.

Do you need the improvements of the 40D over the XTi/400D?

Either will produce great images under most ordinary consumer shooting circumstances, so the choice depends on how you will use the camera and if that use takes you beyond ordinary consumer shooting circumstances and situations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    GixsterGixster Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the great info!

It seems I've done a 180. rolleyes1.gif Par for the course for me.

I found an excellent deal on a 20D. I've shot a 20D a few times, as my best friend has one, and I really liked it alot!

So, 20D it is. It does not come with a lens though, so I have to purchase a lens for it. The problem is that I don't know much about lenses or understand their nomenclature, so I need some education there. I'll probably start another thread shortly for that info.

Any suggestions for a good *all-purpose* lens?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited December 17, 2007
    Gixster wrote:
    ... Any suggestions for a good *all-purpose* lens?

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a sweet general purpose "standard" zoom for Canon crop 1.6x cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    I'm no expert, but to get you started on lenses. The two big specs for them is the focal length and F stop. The focal length is the amount of "zoom" you get for lack of a better term (I'm sure there is one). The kit lens of the canon XT is 18-55mm for example. You can have zoom lenses where you can vary the focal length and prime lenses that are fixed at one spot. Prime lenses tend to be cheaper, faster and probably a bit sharper (at least compared to consumer grade zooms) but of course you can't zoom in and out.

The F-stop is how much light the lens can let in (and more light all else equal = faster shutter speed). Lower numbers are better.

My wife has the kit lens and a 50mm prime lens for her XT. The kit lens is 18-55mm with a /f of 3.5-5.6. The prime lens has a /f of 1.8. She likes shooting with the prime lens a lot, its super fast, great in low light and its physically really small and lightweight.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Well, at first I was going to recommend the 40D over the XTi however since you've decided on the 20D I guess that isn't necessary.

I would second the recommendation on the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, it really is a fine lens.
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals