Las Posadas

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited December 28, 2007 in People
For those that aren't familiar, Las Posadas is a procession that recreates the journey Mary and Joseph made while traveling just before
giving birth to Baby Jesus. An annual 9 day Christmas tradition in the Hispanic Culture, it ends with hot drinks and cookies. At Olvera
street, it starts off with dancers, a pinata, and then the procession. I went and shot the Posadas at Olvera Street, place in Los Angeles where the city was actually founded.

Since it's very dark, you have high ISO's, exposure is tough b/c the lighting is completely uneven, and the lighting source is mixed. Not only that, the subjects are moving toward you while it's hard to focus b/c it's so dark. You really can't use flash b/c the people are moving inches from you and it's tough to pan with slow shutter speeds b/c they are moving towards and by you at the same time. Anyway, it was fun but very tough event to shoot.

Sorry if I get some of the facts wrong, I'm not Hispanic/Catholic, so this is an event I'm not familiar with.

1. Manger Scene
233589285-M.jpg

2. A traditional Mexican dancer
233589788-M.jpg

3. 233590223-M.jpg

4. An angel
233589541-M.jpg

5. Procession starts, you can see LA City hall in the background with the spot light.
233590255-M.jpg

6. Statues of Mary and Joseph.
233590476-M.jpg

7. Some of those singing in the procession.
233590592-M.jpg

whole gallery is here.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/4008093/1/233589285#P-1-15
c/c welcome.

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Hi Tom,

I always look forward to seeing shots from your area. I never know about this festival but you brought us a nice collection of atmospheric shots that are expressive and full of (e)motion.

I really love the lighting in the first and the dancer in the second.

Great job thumb.gif
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Tom,
    For such a challenging shoot I think you did an outstanding job. I especially like the 1st and 3rd shot! The lighting in the first is beautiful and i love the dof and focus of the 3rd... really feels like your there. Well done!
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Nice serie. Nr4 is really funny :D
    Cheers, Jeroen
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007