New Video feature

dvdmondvdmon Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited December 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Thanks so much for opening up video formats! I was all ready to start converting them to another format for uploading them through youtube, but this makes more sense as my video is also usually tied to an album.

I do have a question, though. For a while I could not find a way to change the display mode between dvd and web as mentioned in your new help page. I finally saw it up at the top, but that was because I was really looking for it. I don't think a visitor would notice that if they weren't specifically looking for it, and even then... I'm wondering if this mode switch can be more obvious - perhaps having an additional icon on the mouseover under Save Movie, or something? I don't know, but it seems like it should be a lot more obvious.

Also, the choices are between web and "iPod/DVD" and Auto, but on the help page you only mention web and DVD. I'm wondering about the mention of iPod. It seems a bit confusing. Why not just high/low? Also, what is Auto about?

Finally, I have Quicktime Pro and would like to convert stuff first rather than upload 100MB+ files. I'm wondering if you could provide a quick set of settings to use for this. I've been converting images from my compact digicams to ipod format (m4v), and although it doesn't give you a choice of what mpeg-4 compression part to use when converting, if I load the converted file it into Quicktime and use the movie inspector option, it says it's H.264, so I suppose I should use this option?

Thanks again!

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    dvdmon wrote:
    I do have a question, though. For a while I could not find a way to change the display mode between dvd and web as mentioned in your new help page. I finally saw it up at the top, but that was because I was really looking for it. I don't think a visitor would notice that if they weren't specifically looking for it, and even then... I'm wondering if this mode switch can be more obvious - perhaps having an additional icon on the mouseover under Save Movie, or something? I don't know, but it seems like it should be a lot more obvious.
    I'll pass this suggestion around as you're right that most people don't bother much looking around for options. That's why we have the auto size which will automatically adapt the video to the browser window.
    dvdmon wrote:
    Also, the choices are between web and "iPod/DVD" and Auto, but on the help page you only mention web and DVD. I'm wondering about the mention of iPod. It seems a bit confusing. Why not just high/low? Also, what is Auto about?
    With high or low you wouldn't have many associations and after all, our videos are all high quality and just differ in the resolution. For DVD/iPod, Web or HD, people all ready have certain sizes in mind.
    dvdmon wrote:
    I've been converting images from my compact digicams to ipod format (m4v), and although it doesn't give you a choice of what mpeg-4 compression part to use when converting, if I load the converted file it into Quicktime and use the movie inspector option, it says it's H.264, so I suppose I should use this option?
    Yes, H.264 is the format we convert your videos into. Just use this and you'll be fine.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero