Options

how do I set up lighting in airport hanger?

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited December 19, 2007 in Technique
I have a 20d canon and using the canon 70-200 IS 2.8 lens with a 580 flash..I am shooting in a big ariport hanger.... how do I set up my lighting? about 300 people and I am walking around and taking photos thanks janis
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited December 18, 2007
    Unless you really need to use the 70-200mm range for some reason, I think you would be better suited in that environment with a shorter focal length. Your 50mm would probably work pretty well.

Then I would use some light modifiers, and probably a way to get the external flash up and off the camera like using a flash bracket and off-camera cord. Again (as I mentioned in other recent threads) I like a "scoop" reflector when working with a high ceiling.

I suggest around f4-f5.6 for most instances and 1/125 or so. Feel free to boost your ISO to whatever works best, depending on the ambient light.

Be careful with your backgrounds.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Has anyone ever tried something like this?

bracket_front_umbrella_ttl_porta_flash_nikon_250w.jpg

They sell these over at ALZO Digital. You can get different types of umbrellas to change they type of light you get. I realize it looks pretty goofy, and you'd probably get some crazy looks, but I would certainly think you would get some great lighting from it!!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Janis,
    magicpic wrote:
    I have a 20d canon and using the canon 70-200 IS 2.8 lens with a 580 flash..I am shooting in a big ariport hanger.... how do I set up my lighting? about 300 people and I am walking around and taking photos thanks janis
    So it sounds like a party or some other sort of gathering, and you're taking so called "candids", right?
    First of all, see if you can avoid using flash at all. Such parties can be nicely lit, your 20D can easily produce decent images at ISO1600 and your f/2.8 glass should suck enough light to back it up (and if not, 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 surely will)
    If, however, you have to use a flash, simply follow the previous advices, get yourself 580 with the cord on the bracket and have fun. Forget the diffusers: with no walls/ceiling around they will simply steal your lumens. Try to get there a bit earlier and practice a little, probably dial like -2/3EV on your flash.
    Good luck! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Why don't you just go for ceiling bounce? I hear the 580 is pretty powerfulrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Just kidding.

I agree w/ Nikolai on this one. Even if you do use flash you want it to just add to ambient not light the entire scene.

Please post some results when your done. I'm interested in seeing what your results are. If you use flash, please take a setup shot so we can see how you took your images as well!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    If you are using radio transmitters, and multiple flashes, I can dig up a link to a post I read about lighting high school gyms.

Short of that, I have to agree with the earlier reply suggesting that natural light might be the best bet. If you must use flash....on camera.....you still will want to use a high ISO, and only enough flash power to give you a hand holdable shutter speed. I have bounced my 580 from the ceiling in church and high school gyms with some success, but you better bring extra batteries for sure. Point the flash one notch forward from straight up, and pull out the diffuser and catchlight panel. This technique has given me decent results in large buildings, and to some degree outdoors. If the ceiling is anything other than white, all bets are off.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why don't you just go for ceiling bounce? I hear the 580 is pretty powerfulrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I'm watching you rolleyes1.gif

Carry on...
    Randy
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    i knowrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    will post
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    i knowrolleyes1.gif

This event was a christmas event for the Marines and I volunteered for the event to photograph...I used canon 20d 580 on camera with a bounce I used the flash set at some ambient light...I used the 70-200 IS lens..I thought my photos were good but not pleased with the light...ok the event was at night...I used a bounce card and pointed it at the closest light or white I could find...I will get and post ...janis
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    photos in airport hanger look at l(ighting)
    magicpic wrote:
    This event was a christmas event for the Marine families and I volunteered for the event to photograph...I used canon 20d 580 on camera with a bounce I used the flash set at some ambient light...I used the 70-200 IS lens..I thought my photos were good but not pleased with the light...ok the event was at night...I used a bounce card and pointed it at the closest light or white I could find...I will get and post ...janis

233135236-M.jpg
    233120328-M.jpg

232815001-M.jpg
    233116417-M.jpg
    233122556-M.jpg

what do you think about my lighting
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    show photos
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Has anyone ever tried something like this?

bracket_front_umbrella_ttl_porta_flash_nikon_250w.jpg

They sell these over at ALZO Digital. You can get different types of umbrellas to change they type of light you get. I realize it looks pretty goofy, and you'd probably get some crazy looks, but I would certainly think you would get some great lighting from it!!

what situation do you use this for...could you please show some photos..thanks janis
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    what situation do you use this for...could you please show some photos..thanks janis

I don't actually have this, but I would imagine it would be situations exactly like this you would want to use it for. Somewhere you couldn't get any bounce, and there may be little or no available light. You asked in the PM why they have silver on the inside instead of white. I would think it is because the silver is more reflective and you won't lose as much light as you would if it was white. Someone can probably explain that better than I can.

My guess is their thinking on this is it is kind of like a protable studio setup. Take what would normall just be a regular flash bracket and turn it into a nice large light source similar to what would be seen in a studio. ne_nau.gif