Options

Where to Rent?

1235»

Comments

  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I haven't used one yet, but might soon to try out the 120-300/2.8 sigma. Borrowlenses said they won't be adding them anytime soon because of the large number of problems with Sigma Zooms they have been having. :( LensRentals.Com carries it, so I guess I have my answer. A friend of mine used LensRentals.com for the longest time till he finally got the $ to buy what he wanted.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    +1 for Borrowlenses. As a bonus, when I rented it was a holiday on a Monday (when it was due back), so I got some bonus extra time! Lens was great, it was easy to send back. Nice experience.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited October 10, 2011
    I decided that the "Lens Rentals" thread really could be merged with the "Where to Rent" thread.

    Carry on. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    scseithscseith Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Where to Rent: www.lensrentals.com
    I too have access to Penn Camera here in the DC area. Lens Rentals (www.lensrentals.com) prices far better. Outstanding customer service with a real human on the phone in a hurry. Equipment is clean, tested. Plus they have a good Twitter feed to keep you up to speed with things, including your order progress. Their web page includes some very informative articles on various camera related issues--some very technical, all informative. They weigh in with their opinions on the various pieces of gear--they get to use it all--and I have emailed the boss on numerous occasions for his thoughts on gear and always gotten an informative reply within hours--literally.

    Ships to your choice of local Fed Ex or Kinkos, comes with the return slip. Repack in the original box, slap on the label, drop it off.
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    +1 for Borrowlenses. As a bonus, when I rented it was a holiday on a Monday (when it was due back), so I got some bonus extra time! Lens was great, it was easy to send back. Nice experience.

    Thanks for the kind words!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

    Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    bjpdotcombjpdotcom Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    If you're ever in Salt Lake City, perhaps skiing, Pictureline rents and they are great folks.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    BorrowLenses absurd policy
    I wanted to rent a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 for an event I have next weekend. I've been thinking of buying one and want to test it out. Since I only need it for 3 days the price was better at BorrowLenses than LensRentals. I filled out the order form and received my invoice by e-mail (yesterday).

    Today I got an e-mail telling me that
    "Since this is an order that includes very high priced items, there is an extra step that needs to be completed before we can ship. This is done for your and our protection and to make sure that someone is not using your credit card name fraudulently and trying to steal your identity and run off with a bunch of expensive camera gear."

    Initially, I could understand this. If they want me to call in or confirm some piece of information I can live with that. Here's what they wanted me to do though:
    We will require the following items:

    1) A clear photograph or scan of your driver's license or state-issued ID.
    AND
    2) A clear photograph or scan of the front and back of the credit card that was used to pay for this order.
    AND
    3) A clear copy of your utility bill, phone bill, car registration, or any other document that clearly lists your name and billing address.

    Are they out of their minds? First is the hassle factor. Second, and the greater offense, is that this gives someone everything they need to steal my identity. I don't know your employees and I certainly don't know what your privacy policy and data protection policies are. If you want to require "Verified by VISA," fine. If you want to call me at home, fine. I think I could even live with a scan of my driver's license (maybe). But all of this to rent a $500 lens. I'll pass.

    Their defense is:
    The upload is done via https, stored in a password protected section on our server and is very secure. We know that people are (rightfully so) afraid of uploading sensitive docs, but we are a trusted company (http://www.yelp.com/biz/borrowlenses-san-carlos) and are trying to make sure nobody is ordering expensive camera equipment in your name.

    I'm sorry, but that doesn't make me feel secure. The fact that people on yelp like you? Really? And that the part of your server this is on requires a password? So did my Playstation Network account.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I wanted to rent a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 for an event I have next weekend. I've been thinking of buying one and want to test it out. Since I only need it for 3 days the price was better at BorrowLenses than LensRentals. I filled out the order form and received my invoice by e-mail (yesterday).

    Today I got an e-mail telling me that


    Initially, I could understand this. If they want me to call in or confirm some piece of information I can live with that. Here's what they wanted me to do though:


    Are they out of their minds? First is the hassle factor. Second, and the greater offense, is that this gives someone everything they need to steal my identity. I don't know your employees and I certainly don't know what your privacy policy and data protection policies are. If you want to require "Verified by VISA," fine. If you want to call me at home, fine. I think I could even live with a scan of my driver's license (maybe). But all of this to rent a $500 lens. I'll pass.

    Their defense is:


    I'm sorry, but that doesn't make me feel secure. The fact that people on yelp like you? Really? And that the part of your server this is on requires a password? So did my Playstation Network account.


    I totally dig where you're coming from with this! Same thing happened to me just day before yesterday, same situ, same company, etc. Except, I don't think your $500 lens is so very expensive as to cause worry. I thought you'd rented with them before?

    I have rented with them on 2 prior occasions and both times had a single lens: Zeiss and Canon 85 f/1.2II. Neither time did I have to verify. so I was surprised that I had to this time. My issue actually wasn't that I had to verify. I was/am renting 7-grand worth of Eq., so it made some sense. My problem was two fold.

    1. If you're worried that someone has stolen my CC and want to be sure it's me, call me and ask me.
    2. If I call you and can steer you two Web presences over the phone ( as well as tell you it is me that used my card), which I did as well as tell you I used CLUBSMUG_ as my discount code...etc..etc...what makes you think I might be out here wanting to steal your lens, which is what the gal on the phone told me. Not accusing me of course, but that that was their concern.
    3. I ordered on Tuesday and my order needed to ship on Thursday, which it did. But I didn't receive the e-mail into my Hotmail acct. telling me I had to verify until 10 pm on Wednesday evening. I had no idea that ( Paperwork) awaited me on Thursday as I headed out to a Doc's appt. I was like you, I saw the Verify thing as I went to bed and told them to call me or some such and left it. After not hearing back from them. I actually had to turn the car around and come back home because I remembered the verify thing...That took some time to call, get it figured out and then go try to find the Doc's and all....

    I quickly PM'd Josh here to look over my order for me, and he did. I just needed someone to check things for me ( while I was away from Internet) to ensure my order arrives here Monday for my Tech week leading up to a Shoot.

    I will say a Hardy THANKS to Josh here.

    But I also wonder why the change of policy. And if it's not a change, then someone needs to tighten up on the idling screw around there and let the Customer know right away that a verification is needed...like when you send the order confirmation. And not just that it's needed, but why not send a link too? When I received that order Confirmation I thought it was clear sailing ahead, so I moved on.
    tom wise
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Tom,

    I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Like you, I'm more sympathetic with them considering the amount of gear you were renting. Still, the time crunch they put on you is unacceptable. I haven't rented from them in a couple of years so I don't know when they adopted this policy but it seems they've got some serious bugs to work out.

    --Paul
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    I have rented from borrowlenses.com on numerous occasions and the service has just about been perfect everytime. At this point I don't even think about anyone else when I need a rental. They asked me for ID once when I rented out the 200-400 f/4 VR. It didn't bother me and the request was easily satisifed and seemed reasonable considering the expense of lens. As for identity theft I feel safer with borrowlens.com than I do giving my credit card to an illegal immigrant working as a waitress in a restaurant.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I wanted to rent a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 for an event I have next weekend. I've been thinking of buying one and want to test it out. Since I only need it for 3 days the price was better at BorrowLenses than LensRentals. I filled out the order form and received my invoice by e-mail (yesterday).

    Today I got an e-mail telling me that


    Initially, I could understand this. If they want me to call in or confirm some piece of information I can live with that. Here's what they wanted me to do though:


    Are they out of their minds? First is the hassle factor. Second, and the greater offense, is that this gives someone everything they need to steal my identity. I don't know your employees and I certainly don't know what your privacy policy and data protection policies are. If you want to require "Verified by VISA," fine. If you want to call me at home, fine. I think I could even live with a scan of my driver's license (maybe). But all of this to rent a $500 lens. I'll pass.

    Their defense is:


    I'm sorry, but that doesn't make me feel secure. The fact that people on yelp like you? Really? And that the part of your server this is on requires a password? So did my Playstation Network account.
    WOW, I will buy lenses before I will rent with that as a requirement. I would not send that much info to any one on the internet even if YELP likes them. The amazing part is this does not verify that you are who you say you are. A utility bill that shows your billing address? I can cut and past that together in 5 minutes and it will not be detectable in a scan. besides that the credit card already gives them your billing address.

    I'll stick with LensRentals, unless they get this stupid. Then I will go back to buying.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Tom,

    I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Like you, I'm more sympathetic with them considering the amount of gear you were renting. Still, the time crunch they put on you is unacceptable. I haven't rented from them in a couple of years so I don't know when they adopted this policy but it seems they've got some serious bugs to work out.

    --Paul


    Thanks Paul! Yes. It was unacceptable. I had actually talked to them prior to renting this time because of the time crunch. So that was another Op to inform me of this verify need. It ( the Phone convo) is the reason I ordered when I did versus waiting like I wanted to until after My production meeting.

    I've been happy before and I suspect all will work out fine this time as well.

    But IMO the overall experience is ubiquitous in Corporate America as a whole: We are trying to take common sense out of everything. At least that's the way I see it. And it is the reason I left Healthcare. Of course that is a part and parcel to that key of key buzz-phrases from the 90's about "growing your business". When I was last in a bigger-business that was service oriented I chose not to grow my business, not in the way it is typically accepted. I grew it the old fashioned way: It earned it's growth. Now-a-days folks tend to force growth, and...need I say more?

    Sorry so far adrift from topic!
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    ken wrote: »
    The amazing part is this does not verify that you are who you say you are. A utility bill that shows your billing address? I can cut and past that together in 5 minutes and it will not be detectable in a scan. besides that the credit card already gives them your billing address.


    No. True! I recently wanted to do some Biz with a person, Googled their name and had their Garbage bill, their Tax bill and all sorts of other lovely stuff returned in the query. Of course I was shocked, but thats because I am not a crook. And yes, I can see it if the delivery address doesn't match the Bill address. Mine Matched.
    tom wise
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I have rented from borrowlenses.com on numerous occasions and the service has just about been perfect everytime. At this point I don't even think about anyone else when I need a rental. They asked me for ID once when I rented out the 200-400 f/4 VR. It didn't bother me and the request was easily satisifed and seemed reasonable considering the expense of lens. As for identity theft I feel safer with borrowlens.com than I do giving my credit card to an illegal immigrant working as a waitress in a restaurant.

    Harry - I'm glad you feel safe with borrow lenses. I've done business with them in the past and it's been fine as well. The issue is that I don't feel comfortable giving anyone 1) both sides of my driver's license; 2) both sides of my credit card; 3) utility bills. I don't think invoking the boogie-monster of an illegal immigrant waitress is really the best comparison here.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Paul:

    I rented a Canon 24-105L lens from Borrowlenses.com, and did not have to do any of what you mentioned. This lens is arguably as 'high priced' a lens as what you were renting, so I don't understand the inconsistency here. In addition, that was my first rental with them.

    Like you, I would not have sent the requested info, and I don't blame you for refusing as well. This is what business insurance is for it seems to me.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I will second or tenth recommending Borrow lenses.

    Sam
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    In case anyone doesn't know, this time of year is when LensRentals does their "Lens Lotto." If you haven't tried it it's pretty fun.

    For example - I had planned to rent the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 for two events I have this weekend. Instead, I tried the lens lotto. You pick a range (wide, normal, tele), tell them what lenses you already have, and what you're planning to shoot. They send you a random lens they pick based on what you've told them. You're assured that, worst case scenario, the rental price you paid will be the same as that lens would normally cost. Most of the time (all of the time, I think) you end up getting a better lens for a cheaper rental price.

    I paid $64.50 for a four day rental (and shipping). Based on what I told them they sent me a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. Normal 4-day rental for that would be $86.75. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

    I don't work for LensRentals or get anything in return for this - I just think the lens lotto is a cool thing. Also, despite my cancelled order with them over the weekend I don't have any problems with BorrowLenses. I've used them before and will use them again if they ever change this ID policy.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    In case anyone doesn't know, this time of year is when LensRentals does their "Lens Lotto." If you haven't tried it it's pretty fun.

    For example - I had planned to rent the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 for two events I have this weekend. Instead, I tried the lens lotto. You pick a range (wide, normal, tele), tell them what lenses you already have, and what you're planning to shoot. They send you a random lens they pick based on what you've told them. You're assured that, worst case scenario, the rental price you paid will be the same as that lens would normally cost. Most of the time (all of the time, I think) you end up getting a better lens for a cheaper rental price.

    I paid $64.50 for a four day rental (and shipping). Based on what I told them they sent me a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. Normal 4-day rental for that would be $86.75. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

    I don't work for LensRentals or get anything in return for this - I just think the lens lotto is a cool thing. Also, despite my cancelled order with them over the weekend I don't have any problems with BorrowLenses. I've used them before and will use them again if they ever change this ID policy.


    Pulled the trigger on the Lens Lotto today! A fun idea!
    tom wise
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry you do not feel safe with us. We've been around for over 4 years, have processed over 100,000 orders, and do all we can to make the ordering and shipping process as simple and painless as possible. Unfortunately we're also the frequent victim of fraud (literally on a daily basis) so we have safeguards in place to protect both our stuff and your account/identity. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. If you ever need anything you can always send me an IM and I'll do everything I can to help out.

    josh
    Director of Marketing
    BorrowLenses.com
    Pupator wrote: »
    Harry - I'm glad you feel safe with borrow lenses. I've done business with them in the past and it's been fine as well. The issue is that I don't feel comfortable giving anyone 1) both sides of my driver's license; 2) both sides of my credit card; 3) utility bills. I don't think invoking the boogie-monster of an illegal immigrant waitress is really the best comparison here.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

    Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Hi Josh, wave.gif

    I appreciate your response here and the kind PM as well. Let me be clear however that "you do not feel safe with us," is not an accurate representation of my complaint. I would not give the information you asked for to any company - it has nothing to do with my level of trust of Borrow Lenses in particular. Any business that has this policy - I would choose to do business with someone else. I completely understand the need to verify identities and to protect yourselves - I disagree with the way you've chosen to do that. You are completely within your rights as a company to do it that way but it means I won't be doing business with you. Others, in this thread even, have expressed a willingness to accept your practices and that is their right as well.

    It's like at the grocery store when they want me to sign up for their rewards card and when I say "I don't sell my personal information for discounts" they always respond "Oh! We don't share it with anybody!" eek7.gif They're missing the point. In the commercial realm, we get to choose who we hand our identities over to, and for what benefit. Different people are within their rights to make different choices on this issue. Companies should certainly adopt the policies that are the most effective for them. But I would also point out, from a business perspective, that if this is true:
    Unfortunately we're also the frequent victim of fraud (literally on a daily basis)
    Dr. Phil would ask of your policy, "Well how's that working for you?"

    Let me reiterate that I have nothing against BorrowLenses and, when the need to rent arises, I'll check you out to see if the policy has changed.

    Kind regards,
    Paul
    Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry you do not feel safe with us. We've been around for over 4 years, have processed over 100,000 orders, and do all we can to make the ordering and shipping process as simple and painless as possible. Unfortunately we're also the frequent victim of fraud (literally on a daily basis) so we have safeguards in place to protect both our stuff and your account/identity. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. If you ever need anything you can always send me an IM and I'll do everything I can to help out.

    josh
    Director of Marketing
    BorrowLenses.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I have rented from borrowlenses.com on numerous occasions and the service has just about been perfect everytime. At this point I don't even think about anyone else when I need a rental. They asked me for ID once when I rented out the 200-400 f/4 VR. It didn't bother me and the request was easily satisifed and seemed reasonable considering the expense of lens. As for identity theft I feel safer with borrowlens.com than I do giving my credit card to an illegal immigrant working as a waitress in a restaurant.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Hi Josh, wave.gif

    I appreciate your response here and the kind PM as well. Let me be clear however that "you do not feel safe with us," is not an accurate representation of my complaint. I would not give the information you asked for to any company - it has nothing to do with my level of trust of Borrow Lenses in particular. Any business that has this policy - I would choose to do business with someone else. I completely understand the need to verify identities and to protect yourselves - I disagree with the way you've chosen to do that. You are completely within your rights as a company to do it that way but it means I won't be doing business with you. Others, in this thread even, have expressed a willingness to accept your practices and that is their right as well.

    Kind regards,
    Paul

    Your feedback is appreciated Paul, and we look forward to working with you should the need to rent arises one of those days! Just let me know how we can help.

    josh
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

    Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    Thanks Andy :D
    Andy wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

    Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    my favorite place.....Dallas Camera

    http://www.dallascamera.com/files/CanonSystemRental.pdf




    ____________________
    Chuck Dee - AKA Chris
    "A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -Ansel Adams
    www.bellissimofoto.com
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    For folks near Charleston, SC, Mike at www.Charlestonavgear.com has a growing list of equipment available at good prices, and he's gone above and beyond for me (like the time I emailed him @9 PM on a Saturday hoping to rent a lens for an engagement session scheduled for the next morning...I'd only an hour earlier stupidly managed to get water inside my go-to lens at the time, so I was in a serious bind)... He doesn't ship, but I can whole heartedly recommend his services to those close by...

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    AHawkPhotoAHawkPhoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2014
    Renting Tomorrow
    Max,

    I am brand new to renting gear. I was trying to rent a lens for a shoot tomorrow and pick it up in northern Virginia, and to my dismay it says I cannot pick it up until Friday...anywhere! I don't know what to do now, I was not aware this process needed days notice or else I would have rented days ago. Advice please.

    Much Thanks,
    Angela Hawk







    Hi Ziggy,

    Thank you for posting on a topic that's so near and dear to my heart :) Also, thank you for our mention in the post.

    Let me introduce myself. My name is Max and I am the owner of BorrowLenses.com. We have been working with DGrinners and SmugMuggers for a while now and we'd like to thank the many of you who have utilized our services (check out the signature for more info). Also, as SmugMug members, you guys are entitled to a special discount. Visit ClubSmug for more details.

    Please let me know if you guys have any questions regarding our services. I will monitor this thread to see if there are any queries.

    Thanks,
    Max
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,891 moderator
    edited April 18, 2024

    BorrowLenses has joined the LensRentals family of brands!

    For more information:

    https://dgrin.com/discussion/269528/borrowlenses-has-joined-the-lensrentals-family-of-brands

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
Sign In or Register to comment.