Options

Tips for Shooting a Funeral Service

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Technique
Hi all, I've been asked to take some pictures during a funeral service later tonight (12/18). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to offer. I am friends with the son and daughter of the deceased (their mother) and I believe many of the attendees will members of our church congregation. Are there any funeral service protocols I should keep in mind?

I have a 20D, and both a 17-55mm and a 17-85mm available. Should I have a longer lens?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited December 18, 2007
    Discuss this with the funeral director and any officiant for the funeral service itself. They should be able to guide you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    yoyostock wrote:
    Hi all, I've been asked to take some pictures during a funeral service later tonight (12/18). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to offer. I am friends with the son and daughter of the deceased (their mother) and I believe many of the attendees will members of our church congregation. Are there any funeral service protocols I should keep in mind?

I have a 20D, and both a 17-55mm and a 17-85mm available. Should I have a longer lens?

Thanks!
    the 55 should be fine. no flash and as stated discuss with the funeral director.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    How'd it go
    . . . last night?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    . . . last night?

Went alright...it was such a personal and emotionally charged time that I kept wavering between being respectful and capturing the moment (as requested). All in all though, there was a good amount of light and I think the shots came out alright...though, I can't quite confirm because I handed over the CF card to a family member (by his request) right after the service. He's a friend of mine, so no biggie...I handed it over.

It was pretty stressful though. One big question I had was...is it, or is it not, appropriate to shoot an open casket?
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    yoyostock wrote:
    One big question I had was...is it, or is it not, appropriate to shoot an open casket?

I'd say that if the family asked you to do it it's OK. When it comes right down to it, they're the final arbiter of what's appropriate at their loved one's funeral.

I don't think I'd presume to do it wothout being asked, nor would I ask to do it. I'd wait to be asked, and then do it with the longest lens I had with me so's to be the least intrusive as possible.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I'd say that if the family asked you to do it it's OK. When it comes right down to it, they're the final arbiter of what's appropriate at their loved one's funeral.

I don't think I'd presume to do it wothout being asked, nor would I ask to do it. I'd wait to be asked, and then do it with the longest lens I had with me so's to be the least intrusive as possible.
    I agree with this, with some caveats. The family may not know that having pictures taken is something they can ask for, so how the question is phrased is critical. If you ask as far ahead as possible, and ask if they'd like you to take pictures, you should be ok because you're asking their feelings on the question. If you ask if you can take pictures, that could put them in the potentially difficult situation of having to deny you permission to shoot, and that's never a good idea.

If they do want you to take pictures, ask them if they'd like you to shoot anything in particular - which would cover the question about whether or not to shoot the open casket.

In a recent experience I had, a friend of the family died, and I asked the "relative in charge" if she'd like me to take pics, and she said ok. The widow and family really appreciated it afterwards, and the widow thanked me because she didn't even know it was something she could ask for.

I'll also second the long-lens recommendation. My 28-135 IS did a good overall job of capturing a number of memorable moments, including a group family shot at the end - but I would've preferred a longer lens in order to give the mourners more space.

As for protocols - I won't shoot in the sanctuary during the service, but if the church is setup for it, you should be able to get good shots from the narthex (which is the entry / gathering area outside the sanctuary itself).
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc