My Introduction

Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 19, 2007 in Landscapes
Good Evening Everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Since I'm new and I figure I'll be spending a lot of time in this forum (I love landscape photography), I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Michael Atkins and I am 30yrs old. I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Alaska</st1:place></st1:State> right now (military) with my wife Robyn and our bundle of joy. We're expecting Ava on Jan 1st if she comes on time. I've always loved photography, but just recently started taking it seriously (not too seriously though). I feel like I have a lot to learn and look forward to talking to all of you. I've been on Flickr for a little over a year and I am incredibly grateful to have found this site. After only browsing for a couple days I feel like this is the photography community I was looking for. Well enough is enough, if left unchecked I have a tendency to ramble. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Here are some of my favorite pictures I have taken in the last year. All of these photos are in <st1:State><st1:place>Alaska</st1:place></st1:State>.

Waterfall taken in Girdwood about 30mins outside of Anchorage
<o:p>230593095-XL-3.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Beaver dam on Elmendorf AFB about 1 mile from my house</o:p>
<o:p>232162134-XL-1.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Cordova harbor in the early evening. A beautiful place if you go to the trouble to get there - can only fly or take a 4-8hr ferry ride depending on season.</o:p>
<o:p>230342471-XL-1.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Childs Glacier about 45 miles outside of Cordova</o:p>
<o:p>230253937-XL-3.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>I believe this is Crows Creek - Off the road on the way toward Girdwood.</o:p>
<o:p>232162320-XL-1.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>And last but not least - one more from on Elmendorf AFB</o:p>
<o:p>230182150-XL-2.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Well that's it for now... I hope you all enjoy. I will continue to post more as I shoot more.</o:p>

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Welcome aboard, what a great set to start with! There are several DGrinners up in Alaska, maybe you guys could hook up and go shooting sometime.

And before I forget, thanks for serving in our armed forces!clap.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Welcome, Michael! Very nice stuff - I love your beaver dam shot! And the shot of Cordoba Harbor. I am looking forward to seeing many more.

ann
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Welcome indeed. clap.gif

Very nice introduction thumb.gif - only problem with a great introduction is living up to it as you post in the future.:D

Hope you find the forum and the members helpful and if you get a chance to meet up with one I highly recommend it. There are some great people on here.

I really like the first shot and the creek- very nice.clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Thank you DJ, Ann, and Aaron for the wonderful comments.

Much appreciated
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hi Michael!
    You're definitely have an eye and the gear to follow it:-)thumb.gif
    Welcome to Dgrin, hope to see more of your work in the future!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Beautiful introductory shots, I especially like Cordova harbor. Great low light detail. thumb.gif
    Chris
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    welcome aboard! :D

great shots of great nature! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Beautiful shots of one of my favorite areas on earth! clap.gif Love that one of Cordova Harbor. Hope to see more!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Welcome aboard. All great shots but I particularly like the last one.
    thumb.gifclap.gifthumbclap.gifthumbclap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Hi again Michael and thanks for posting such a great intro! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Dgrin, as it's always nice to hear. :D I'm loving your shots and am grateful to be able to see that corner of our country.

IMO the more words the better. Words are great paired with photography so feel free to cut loose and tell your tales thumb.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Welcome Micahel! As far as saying too many words... The saying is that a picture is worth a thousand words! That means in your post you already said 6,000 words in your pictures, so what is several hundred more? thumb.gif LoL, lame joke, I know!

Anyway, really enjoyed the shots you shared! My grandparents just got back from a 2 week trip to Alaska, and they loved it. Looking forward to seeing you around more often!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Michael,

I think you are going to have a great time here. There are so many aspects of photography that will challenge you to the end and this is one place you can share in the good and bad of it all:D I have many great memories of Alaska, getting dropped off in the wilderness for five days only to be picked up again weather permitting. I never prayed so hard for good weather in my life.
    Great images and welcomewings.gif
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Thank you Nikola, Chris, Chrissiebeez, Elaine, Jack, Schmoo, Rhuarc and Marc for making me feel welcome. All your comments are great. I will definetly be posting more of Alaska, I'll be here for another 2 1/2 years. Which often doesn't seem like enough time to see all the things that I want. Alaska is huge, beautiful, and one of my favorite places.