IR Camera set-up advice please

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Cameras
whats a great second camera set-up as an "IR camera"
i have all nikon lens & d200 and now im thinking of getting a d80 or d70 body to convert to "IR" (from somewhere that does that sort of thing.):dunno

i've heard from some dgrin friends that do "IR" say that i need filters also.

so im green as they get with this "IR" tangent im developing...

i dont even know if basic exposure, ISO, WB Fundamentals apply to "IR".
is "IR" harder that normal photography?

any help/ thoughts / or links would be Appreciated!
:bow
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    whats a great second camera set-up as an "IR camera"
    i have all nikon lens & d200 and now im thinking of getting a d80 or d70 body to convert to "IR" (from somewhere that does that sort of thing.)ne_nau.gif
    Sorry, I can't help you with the choice of Nikon - my poison is Canon flavored and just barely have the time to keep up with developments in that segment of the market. I might suggest you talk to the folks at MaxMax.com to get some help in choosing the right Nikon for you.
    i've heard from some dgrin friends that do "IR" say that i need filters also.

so im green as they get with this "IR" tangent im developing...

i dont even know if basic exposure, ISO, WB Fundamentals apply to "IR".
    is "IR" harder that normal photography?
    Take a look at the photos in this thread (link). They were all taken using the Canon XT (converted by MaxMax) and a bare lens - no filters. Exposures were much like you would expect for visible light work. You do have to pay a little more attention to the histogram as a scene you might expect to be dark could very well present a lot of IR and vice-versa. Tricky, but easy stuff.

WB - green stuff turns white in IR. So, select that as a neutral in ACR and the rest will fall into place. My limited experience has shown that the WB temperature will be all the way to the left and the tint somewhere in the range of -40 to -50. Then, select your black and white points and process it to B&W as you would any "normal" photograph.
    any help/ thoughts / or links would be Appreciated!
    bowdown.gif
    I don't know how much help that was, but I tried. Maybe aktse will join in and offer up her advice as well?
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    You might want to check out http://www.lifepixel.com
    , which also does IR conversion, sells IR modified cameras, and sells the IR filters for those who want to do the conversion themselves. This web site has a pretty good FAQ and tutorial section.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    All, thanks a million, i will be able to investagte further during the holidays,
    thanks for the links
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 19, 2007
    I don't know how much help that was, but I tried. Maybe aktse will join in and offer up her advice as well?

Scott, ive seen your thread before and it is awsome!, between you & "panther" the two of you are to blame for this "IR" tanget ive gotten on.!:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 19, 2007
    Scott, ive seen your thread before and it is awsome!, between you & "panther" the two of you are to blame for this "IR" tanget ive gotten on.!:D
    And I blame April (aktse) for getting me hooked! She let me use her camera for an entire day while we were at the Glacier shootout. Then, just as my lust was starting to diminish, she goes and posts this thread (link). That's ok. Now I know what I'm getting for Valentine's Day, my birthday, Christmas - all rolled into one (an IR modded camera from MaxMax.com).
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    And I blame April (aktse) for getting me hooked! She let me use her camera for an entire day while we were at the Glacier shootout. Then, just as my lust was starting to diminish, she goes and posts this thread (link). That's ok. Now I know what I'm getting for Valentine's Day, my birthday, Christmas - all rolled into one (an IR modded camera from MaxMax.com).
    :hide Sorry Scott!

And honestly, I don’t know too much about IR. Andy, Nick (gluewater) and Ian (ian408) should know more since they’ve been shooting longer with it.

I just bought it about a month before the shootout on impulse. I did a bit of research and kept my eye out for used body; before long, a used XTi body was in my grubby little hands. On the day when I was about to send it to maxmax, I had buyer’s remorse and ended up calling them. After chatting with them, I learned that they liked the results on the XT rather than the XTi. As for pricing, it wasn’t much difference between a used/new one when I finally add in the cost of shipping. It took me another two weeks to gather the courage to pull the trigger and justified the purchase with the idea that I could always sell it after the shootout. I also considered getting an IR P&S, but then quickly realized that I couldn’t easily sell it and I already own various canon glass and it would be shame not to be able to use it.

Now, I still don’t know too much, but the results are stunning and I’m along just for the ride. I just know that sky with clouds and natural elements (wood, rocks, trees) work very well. And take a look at Scott’s IR posts -- Each image is jaw dropping gorgeous.
    edited December 19, 2007
    well im glad your taking the responsibility here. :D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 19, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    :hide Sorry Scott!

And take a look at Scott’s IR posts -- Each image is jaw dropping gorgeous.
    No worries - I can't tell you how much I appreciate the opportunity (to spend more money!!!clap.gif)

And, that last bit - well that just about brings tears to these eyes! Thanks so much for those kind words.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    well im glad your taking the responsibility here. :D
    Actually, I have to take responsibility for at least three people (maybe four).

And Scott wasn’t even the first on the list…

My photography friends know that I mainly shoot hockey and don’t really have a clue about anything else. And then I let them use the camera for a bit, and they go
    :jawdrop
    when they see the photos.

And then that I post stuff like this:
    191370680-M-3.jpg

and
    191372052-M-1.jpg

They want to kill me. (it's all the camera; trust me, it's not me).

Are you next on the list? blbl.gif
    edited December 19, 2007
    plans are set, money transfers, then to make orders, then off to try it out, so yes!wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 20, 2007
    This is one of the first false color IR shots that I really like. :jawdrop bowdown.gif
    191372052-S-1.jpg
    edited December 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

thanks, that turned out to be alot on info in 4 links...eek7.gif
    my eyes are burning:D

thanks again!
    Aaron Nelson