Options

A few days in the Ice, Caribou Creek, Alaska 12/15/07

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited December 24, 2007 in Journeys
Decided to take Shasta out for her first multi-pitch ice climb and only her 3rd time ever ice climbing. My friend has a cabin out real close to the trailhead so it was awesome to take advantage of that! We got our friend Jack and headed out to the cabin. Jack had the only vehicle that could make it out that far so it was definitely nice he came along. Also some of these pictures are his. I felt like a total turd that I forgot my extra camera battery and it died quick...BAAHHHHH
So we drove the 2 and a half hours to the cabin. It is a beautiful little one room cabin. We started the fire and got ready to try and climb a little ice before it got dark (around 4pm now). As Shasta was putting her crampon (my backup) on she pushed to hard and actually broke it! We hoped it would work anyway and so we headed out.

233650684-L.jpg
(photo by Jack)

Jack got all bundled up in several coats, snowpants, and his helmet.
233647911-L.jpg

Jacks Chariot and the beautiful surrounding area.
233650550-L.jpg
(photo by Jack)

We hiked the nice frozen river up to Kid in the Corner and did a few laps on the lower portion. While we were here Mike and Dave came up and went on soloing the whole climb. They were gracious enough to lend us two ice screws as well! How awesome!
233648315-L.jpg

Then it was our turn to get some fun in on the ice.
233650407-L.jpg
(photo by Jack)

So Shasta hops up on the wall and begins to climb. Thankfully the crampon is working even though broken but I tell her "you don't have to kick the ice so hard" then the other crampon breaks! A piece goes rolling down the ice and her crampon nearly pops off. She had to come down and give it another go. She then proceeded to climb up and while coming down got flipped upside down! It happens to must of us atleast once while ice climbing.
233650237-L.jpg
(photo by Jack)

I decided to climb the inside left just for a little added fun. This is me heading up with my rope getting caught on all the little ice sickles pertruding.
233650101-L.jpg
(photo by Jack)

Jack snapping photo's. He just got this little camera and its his first real digital camera. So he was happy to shoot along.
233648769-L.jpg

We hiked back to the cabin after a few laps on the ice and working out some of the kinks that come with not climbing in a while and enjoyed the warmth of the wood stove. The next morning we bundled up once again and headed out back to the climb so that Shasta could get in the whole thing. We climbed the first pitch in pretty quick style. I put in a screw at the base of the climb at about waist level then didn't put another one in until the anchor. Feelin good today!
We continued onto the next pitch.
233649216-L.jpg

I didn't use another screw until the middle of the climb when I came upon the place where I had almost fallen the last time I was out here. This time however the ice was much thicker and it went without much issue!
233647597-L.jpg

Shasta followed and in this section kissed the ice a few times. Its hard to remember not to use the knees when ice climbing and to keep your heels down. She did a great job of keeping a smile and pulling through it!
233649719-L.jpg

We finished the climb and took the walk back to the cabin. It was a great and pretty warm day to be climbing the ice! The company couldn't have been better!

This is a photo of Caribou Creek and the Glenn Highway that Jack took and I stitched together for him.
233649961-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Thanks for bringing memory back mwink.gif

I loved this blue deposit ice iloveyou.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    An awesome adventure.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Nice! I love how busy you guys keep, regardless of the weather. :D
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Can't let the weather keep you in, or you'd have to move somewhere else! :D Nice work Kelsey! Jack has a snowboard too, right? Get him to bring you out to Hatchers before you head to Mexico, we'll meet up and hike something.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 19, 2007
    With that lead-in, I was expecting something with a 10" lift and studded tires! lol3.gif

233650550-Th.jpg

Looks like a cool trip thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 20, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    With that lead-in, I was expecting something with a 10" lift and studded tires! lol3.gif

That's just for the posers doc...you know. Like the GS drivers that only go
    out on sunny days lol3.gif

Nice story and shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    That looks like too much fun! One day. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    aaahhh great fun!!

nice series! like the first 2~! and the last especially thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Funny thing about that is that its Alaska! Some people just don't much like the summer and fly out during the summer but won't leave for a weekend during the winter!! :)

DoctorIt - Heh ya I could see where you could get that impression. The real problem was that Shasta put her vehicle into a fence and mine - The old Hing Marin - just dosent run like she used to.

gluwater - Keep your eyes open for some sort of shootout in Alaska. ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments!
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Very nice story and pictures! Gotta love Alaska!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    gluwater - Keep your eyes open for some sort of shootout in Alaska. ;)
    That would be so sweet. I've been looking into going there the last couple of years. That would be one big check off my list of places I want to visit.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    That would be so sweet. I've been looking into going there the last couple of years. That would be one big check off my list of places I want to visit.

Well I can't garuntee you what it will be but John and I are in for something for sure. Hopefully we can make it full fledged. ;)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    Tangle Lakes...or the Perch. Or we could just all crash in Girdwood lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tnoisawtnoisaw Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Ahh, the beauty of Alaska. If I was not in Northwestern Montana I'd be back in Alaska. It's always nice to see others pics of Alaska instead of my own.
    Thanks