problems with my clients protected galleries

thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited December 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am experiencing a glitch. Under my clients page, I have a gallery called "The Hoffman Siblings," that is supposed to be protected with a password, as are all the other images on this page.

But for some reason, anyone can get into the Hoffman Siblings. It doesn't seem to be protected. What have I done wrong?

Also, I seem to be having some other problems. I will sign in to my page, try to go into a gallery and then be asked to sign in or log in again. I usually have to sign in about three times before it actually lets me into my control panel or in any other restricted area.

Can someone please help me and tell me what I've done to mess things up. I've been doing alot of customization lately and I'm afraid something may be out of wack.

Thank you in advance.

Sheba

picture-yourworld.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    windows_xp_professional-20071219-162101.jpg

it's working fine, here. Be sure you are logged out when checking things like this. Let us know?

Sounds as if you are not storing the cookies properly. What browser, and have you checked your cookie settings? ear.gif
  • thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    windows_xp_professional-20071219-162101.jpg

it's working fine, here. Be sure you are logged out when checking things like this. Let us know?

Sounds as if you are not storing the cookies properly. What browser, and have you checked your cookie settings? ear.gif

Hey there Andy, I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with you yet and I appreciate your help. Poor Allen and Denise need a break from me I'm sure! I'm so addicted to customizing my page that it's worthy of a psychological case study, I'm sure!

Anyways...I'm still a newbie and I didn't understand what you meant about the cookies. I"m not sure which version of IE we have here at work, but I have the latest version at home.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    Okay...

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232532

To clear your cookies in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Cookies..." button and click on that. That will remove all the cookies from your browser.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232617

To clear your cookies in IE6, click on "Tools" and select the "Internet Options..." That will open up a new window. Select the "General" tab. You'll see a "Delete Cookies" in the middle of the window. Click on that.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 19, 2007
    It might help to understand what a cookie is. Without getting too technical, it basically allows websites to uniquely identify your web browser so that you don't have to enter a password every time you visit the sites. There are a number of different uses for SmugMug, mainly with account, site, gallery and cart authentication.

The reason you aren't seeing a password request when you go to that gallery is because you already are authorized to see it. Any other visitor will have to enter a password at least one time to gain access.

Andy was trying to let you know how you can verify that yourself, by deleting your cookies so that SmugMug thinks you are a visitor and haven't yet entered a password.

You can check your version of Internet Explorer by going to Help and then About Internet Explorer. It should be some variation of 6.xxxx or 7.xxxx.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Thank you for the explanation guys! Now I understand what was happening. thumb.gif