Options

Ok andy & fish....its done

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited March 13, 2005 in The Big Picture
Just put a deposit on a 20D. Only a month or so old with about 600 actuations on it. Prob pick it up in a week. Got the kit lens on it to practice with.

Now the real pain with what to scew onto the front of it :dunno I saw & held my 1st ever sigma 120-300 f/2.8 today also....man i cant get over the size of that thing...:huh its like looking straight down the barrel of a naval gun !! Not as heavy as i had thought either...its go some serious dool power to it thats for certain.

Am i still allowed in the Nikonians car from SF to yosemite ?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just put a deposit on a 20D. Only a month or so old with about 600 actuations on it. Prob pick it up in a week. Got the kit lens on it to practice with.

Now the real pain with what to scew onto the front of it ne_nau.gif I saw & held my 1st ever sigma 120-300 f/2.8 today also....man i cant get over the size of that thing...eek7.gif its like looking straight down the barrel of a naval gun !! Not as heavy as i had thought either...its go some serious drewl power to it thats for certain.

Let me be the first to congratulate you and induct you into the white lens crowd!! Good choice 'gus. Sorry Harry - but he is one of us now and all!! Hooray Hooray. I am sure Andy will be very pleased also! thumb.gifclap.gif

Care to elaborate on how you made your decision? I am sure there are other posters who are still deliberating and most folks thought you had fallen to the dark side.

Once again - welcome to white lens land! See you in Yosemite in just few weeks now. :):

Lens suggestions - you already know these
    50mm f1.4
    35mm f1.4
    100mm f2.8 macro
    normal range zoom
    long zoom or primes

It has been too long without seeing any images by you from Oz!! Get busy!! :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Now the real pain with what to scew onto the front of it ne_nau.gif I saw & held my 1st ever sigma 120-300 f/2.8 today also....man i cant get over the size of that thing...eek7.gif its like looking straight down the barrel of a naval gun !! Not as heavy as i had thought either...its go some serious drewl power to it thats for certain.

clap.gif congrats, 'gus. y'know, we poke fun 'round here, heck i'm just glad you pulled the trigger deal.gif it's been too long since you've been without a camera.

next lens? well, i know you like your macros, so you might go macro. use the kit lens as your wide until you're ready to get the 17-40 or 16-35 is my advice. based on your desire for surfing, motorsport, etc, you'll need a long zoom. save your ozziebucks, for that. maybe get the 100mm macro and really enjoy the closeups for a while? remember, in yosemite, you'll get to try out gobs of glass.

really happy for you!

and don't worry, if the nikonians won't let you in their car to yosemite, you can ride with steve and me lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Care to elaborate on how you made your decision? :D:D
    Really it is a just a great camera...something that isnt wont get the following its has so quickly received. Few things stood out being cmos & high ISO.

Ta mate
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    for your surfers, bikers, and wildlife
    here you go, 'gus... 600mm of while lens glory
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    clap.gif congrats, 'gus. y'know, we poke fun 'round here, heck i'm just glad you pulled the trigger deal.gif it's been too long since you've been without a camera.

next lens? well, i know you like your macros, so you might go macro. use the kit lens as your wide until you're ready to get the 17-40 or 16-35 is my advice. based on your desire for surfing, motorsport, etc, you'll need a long zoom. save your ozziebucks, for that. maybe get the 100mm macro and really enjoy the closeups for a while? remember, in yosemite, you'll get to try out gobs of glass.

really happy for you!

and don't worry, if the nikonians won't let you in their car to yosemite, you can ride with steve and me lol3.gif
    Mate the only real reason i did so many macros from days of old was that the camera i had suited it so well...it was quite ordinary for anything else.

Now im wanting to do the motor sport/surfing stuff so i have some serious demons inside fighting it out. I cant tell you how nice that 120-300 f/2.8 felt.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

You have your chose of 3 luxury seating options. You can either be strapped to the:

1.) Front Bumper
    2.) Back Bumper
    3.) Roof

Congrats on a great camera. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

P.S. Bring goggles & a helmet for the trip. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    $7682.95 0z clams.....lol3.gif i'd laugh more if i thought you were joking but im sure your serious.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

I did come very close to the edge though mate...nearly saw your flashlight beam until andy & fish started throwing beer bottles & singing 'advance australia fair'

dkapp wrote:
    You have your chose of 3 luxury seating options. You can either be strapped to the:

1.) Front Bumper
    2.) Back Bumper
    3.) Roof

Congrats on a great camera. I look forward to seeing what you can do.

P.S. Bring goggles & a helmet for the trip. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I cant tell you how nice that 120-300 f/2.8 felt.

you won't be satisfied with 300mm. so, if it's gonna be a while till you can get a long L lens, then take a butcher's at that bigma again. you could cut yer teeth on that for a while... it's no slouch lens.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    it's all about how you look at it, 'gus!
    Humungus wrote:
    $7682.95 0z clams.....lol3.gif i'd laugh more if i thought you were joking but im sure your serious.

ok let's do some math:

i just paid $1800 for 21mm of glass. that's $85 per mm. the 600mm f/4 is $6000, that's only $10 per mm, such a deal!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

I did come very close to the edge though mate...nearly saw your flashlight beam until andy & fish started throwing beer bottles & singing 'advance australia fair'

I understand. They are very satisfied with Canon, and have every right to be. You couldn't go wrong with either, I'm just glad you got off you butt & did it.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you won't be satisfied with 300mm. so, if it's gonna be a while till you can get a long L lens, then take a butcher's at that bigma again. you could cut yer teeth on that for a while... it's no slouch lens.
    Sure....i have more research to do but i would love to find more bigma samples from a tripod. I am very used to tripods & would rather use one than not. Different to you i know.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:

The 120-300 f2.8 received nice reviews when it first came out - very nice article in Shutterbug. Looks like a very useful piece of glass.

But unfortunately, Andy is right, that 300mm is not very long. Long just begins at 400mm and goes on up. Been there, done that I'm afraid. Bigma maybe?
    :Deek7.gif

• Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sure....i have more research to do but i would love to find more bigma samples from a tripod. I am very used to tripods & would rather use one than not. Different to you i know.

bloody hell, mate - bigma shots from a tripod will only be better than the great samples you've already seen.....
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    What about the Canon 100-400L, or the 400/5.6 L? I've read good reviews from some bird photographers.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    What about the Canon 100-400L, or the 400/5.6 L? I've read good reviews from some bird photographers.

Dave
    The prime for sure...nice & sharp which is what im really chasing but as we all know that a zoom is a compromise & the prime is limited. I would look at the bigma over the 100-400 as i dont want IS (im a tripod user & lover always) We do get very good sunshine here for outside sports etc so the speed isnt such a worry.

Anyway...a good bit to read & try to choose.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    dkapp wrote:

Dave

'gus - The 100-400 has always had kind of mixed reviews, but don't be to quick to write it off.

I took 2 L primes and the 100-400 to Bosque, and some of my best images were captured with the 100-400 with all its faults. For example, this image is almost full frame with 20D. One of the reasons it is so useful is that it is a 4 to 1 zoom range. Long zooms are powerful, but slow to move etc.

What is not to like about IS? I would not want a long glass without it.
    17271250-L.jpg

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    'gus,

Wait till Yosemite and you can probably give a few of them a whirl before you
    make a decision.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Congrats Gus thumb.gif ,

Shay
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    At last rolleyes1.gif congtratulations me ole china thumb.gif

'gus if you do get refused by the SF - Yos Nikon express give me a shout :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    At last rolleyes1.gif congtratulations me ole china thumb.gif

'gus if you do get refused by the SF - Yos Nikon express give me a shout :D
    Tks all...the one thing im really spinning about is having to start shooting raw. I dont even know where to start. I know why its done & thats about it.

Have to start the searching tomorrow.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    finally!
    thumb.gif congrats Gus!!! Make it shine boy mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    how to shoot RAW:
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks all...the one thing im really spinning about is having to start shooting raw. I dont even know where to start. I know why its done & thats about it.

Have to start the searching tomorrow.
    Set your camera to record RAW images, point, shoot. There you go :lol
    Oh and, use DPP, breezebrowser, Adobe photoshop, C1 or RawShooter Essentials to convert your RAW files to something you can work on mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    take a butcher's at that bigma again. you could cut yer teeth on that for a while... it's no slouch lens.
    Hmmmm...
    http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/14136019

not too shabby at 417 mm
    http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/14136019

• Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Set your camera to record RAW images, point, shoot. There you go :lol
    Oh and, use DPP, breezebrowser, Adobe photoshop, C1 or RawShooter Essentials to convert your RAW files to something you can work on mwink.gif
    Mate i still have great lumps of files floatin' round in my computer from my last 'raw' attempt.

Nothing will kill 'em.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    'gus, as long as yer lookin' at lenses
    have a go here, some 10-22 shots
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Some beautiful shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    Right on mate - 'bout frickin time you pulled the trigger!!! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

I like his disclaimer:
    Copyright © David Bosdet 2001-2005
    All images and content on this page are the property of David Bosdet and are protected by U.K. and international copyright laws.
    Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without the express written permission of David Bosdet is prohibited.
    In other words, if you steal my images, I'll come after you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just put a deposit on a 20D.

Congrats, gus. Please don't sit it on the seat of yer GS. :lynn
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson