Saffron Flower

kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Holy Macro
6234Saffron.jpg

Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), a species of crocus in the family Iridaceae. The flower has three stigmas, which are the distal ends of the plant's carpels. Together with its style, the stalk connecting the stigmas to the rest of the plant, these components are often dried and used in cooking as a seasoning and colouring agent.

Saffron, which has for decades been the world's most expensive spice by weight is native to Southwest Asia. It was first cultivated in the vicinity of Greece.

The word saffron originated from the 12th-century Old French term safran, which derives from the Latin word safranum. Safranum is also related to the Italian zafferano and Spanish azafrán. Safranum comes from the Arabic word asfar, which means "yellow" via the paronymous zaffaran, the name of the spice in Arabic.

Approximately 170,000 flowers are needed for one kilogram of dried saffron; typically, one would need 2000 square meter field area per kg harvest.

As a therapeutical plant, saffron it is considered an excellent stomach ailment and an antispasmodic, helps digestion and increases appetite. It is also relieves renal colic, reduces stomachaches and relieves tension. It is also considered that in small quantities it regulates women’s menstruation, and helps conception. It is a fact that even since antiquity, crocus was attributed to have aphrodisiac properties. Crocus in general is an excellent stimulant!

World Production of Saffron, crop year 2003-2004

Iran ... 180 ..tons >> 94.73%
Greece ... 3 ..tons >> 1.58%
Spain .... 1 ..tons >> 0.53 %
Morocco .. 1 ..tons >> 0.53 %
India .... 2 ..tons >> 1.05 %

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron#_note-Katzer_2001

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Kombizz,

I've never seen saffron in its natural state before. Quite a striking contrast it has to the rest of the flower, which is otherwise very similar to the regular crocuses we have here. Thanks for sharing!
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Lovely image.
    That’s a lot of flowers too pick. How do they separate the Saffron from the flowers? Thanks for the great information, and beautiful flower. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    It grows all down my street & its free if you have the time and patience to hand pick it. I always use it to colour my rice when i make curries.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It grows all down my street & its free if you have the time and patience to hand pick it. I always use it to colour my rice when i make curries.

:eat
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    kombizz wrote:

Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), a species of crocus in the family Iridaceae.
    The flower has three stigmas, which are the distal ends of the plant's carpels.
    Together with its style, the stalk connecting the stigmas to the rest of the plant, these components are often dried and used in cooking as a seasoning and colouring agent.

Saffron, which has for decades been the world's most expensive spice by weight is native to Southwest Asia.
    It was first cultivated in the vicinity of Greece.

The word saffron originated from the 12th-century Old French term safran, which derives from the Latin word safranum.
    Safranum is also related to the Italian zafferano and Spanish azafrán. Safranum comes from the Arabic word asfar, which means "yellow" via the paronymous zaffaran, the name of the spice in Arabic.

Approximately 170,000 flowers are needed for one kilogram of dried saffron; typically, one would need 2000 square meter field area per kg harvest.

As a therapeutical plant, saffron it is considered an excellent stomach ailment and an antispasmodic, helps digestion and increases appetite.
    It is also relieves renal colic, reduces stomachaches and relieves tension.
    It is also considered that in small quantities it regulates women’s menstruation, and helps conception.
    It is a fact that even since antiquity, crocus was attributed to have aphrodisiac properties. Crocus in general is an excellent stimulant!

World Production of Saffron, crop year 2003-2004

Iran ... 180 ..tons >> 94.73%
    Greece ... 3 ..tons >> 1.58%
    Spain .... 1 ..tons >> 0.53 %
    Morocco .. 1 ..tons >> 0.53 %
    India .... 2 ..tons >> 1.05 %

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron#_note-Katzer_2001

Hi Kombizz, Saffron is probably the most expensive spice you can buy here.
    I too have never seen the flower, and actually didn't know it came from a flower.

I was reading an article about it, and how many dealers in the trade,
    because of the high volumn requirements of this Herb,
    will adulterate the Saffron with safflower petals, coconut fibre, cornsilk and any other similar looking material that they can pass off as Saffron.

Thanks for sharing Kombizz, and thank you for you detailed information.
    Nice Shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Here is safran as I shot it for a cookbook... Surprised to see that the flower is purple...

234572197-L.jpg
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Lovely shot and excellent info :)
    Brian V.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    About twenty bucks for a gram in a glass vile from my store. Not many customers use it, it is so expensive...
    Growing with Dgrin

• patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Beautiful shot....

Thanks for all the info on saffron....when we had a bakery/coffee shop a few years back.....when it was St Lucia on the 13th December here in Sweden we made a special saffron bread....actually start selling it at the begining of December and on that day in the schools and kindergartans one girl either in each class or for the school dresses up as Lucia and there is a sevice in the Church....

Patricia..........:D