Religious Banners

kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
edited December 21, 2007 in Landscapes
I took this image in city of Qom (or the vatican of Islamic studies).

1009964.jpg

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    what do they say?

and if i may ask: why so much green? any particular reason?

curious about the background thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    what do they say?

and if i may ask: why so much green? any particular reason?

curious about the background thumb.gif
    AFAIK, Green is DA color of islam
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 20, 2007
    ahhhh.... that explains.. rolleyes1.gif

any idea why that is? :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    It just became color representing Islam. Like in Pakistani flag green represents Muslims and white color represents minorities.
    On the other hand Muslims wear white cloth in Hajj largest muslim gathering.
    According to my knowledge Muhammad PBUH never emphazised on green color but he use to wear white colored cloths and turban.

The color of dome at Muhammad's grave is green this is main reason you will find lots of green mosques etc in countries at our region of world.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 21, 2007
    thanks for the explaination awais!

i'm always curious what is the reason behind things but sometimes feel stupid asking :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Not stupid at all
    If more of us were genuinely curious about others' cultures, we'd have a much more peaceful world. Photography can calm or incite. It's too bad, but it seems like for the last few years, it has been used more (by people with their own agendas) to incite religious intolerance than to evoke curiosity about the cultures and traditions of other peoples.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited December 21, 2007
    thanks for the explaination awais!
    more on this from Wiki:
    wiki wrote:
    Islam, for example, venerates the color, as it expects paradise to be full of lush greenery. Culturally, it is also associated with growth, regeneration, fertility and rebirth for its connections to nature.
    IIRC from ny history books, the color of Mohammed [war] banners was green, too:-)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifHonestly speaking i never knew war banners were green :D
    But these things are not fundamentals of Islam. All i know is about white color .
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 21, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifHonestly speaking i never knew war banners were green :D
    But these things are not fundamentals of Islam. All i know is about white color .

Colors are often rooted deep into nations history.
    For instance, in ancient Russia (I mean "Russia" generally/geographically, 'cause at the time it was a whole mess of feodal city-states in constant war with each other, as well as with all possible external enemies from North, East, West and South), the color red was associated with beauty and power. Red was used for armor (shields), banners, shoes, dresses.. Interesting enough, the old word for "beautiful" was exactly and literally "red" (krasnyj, красный), and even in today language all the words that are associated with beauty share the same "root", which comes from the color "red".
    In the interest of avoiding possible misunderstanding, this ancient russian red has absolutely nothing in common with so called "communist red", which seem to be originated in France during the French Revolution and was associated with blood.
    Amazing how history works...