Cheapo Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 20, 2004 in Cameras
My cheapo Canon 50mm lens showed up today, so naturally, I had to slap it on the 10D and shoot a few quick tests. So here's my 30 second review.

Macro is kinda lame and the bokeh is weird with five-blade iris.

2950311-M.jpg

Of course the speed of the lens is nice and seems to be reasonably sharp and contrasty.

2950306-M.jpg

Colors are good. Not bad for a little toy lens :)

2950309-M.jpg

So far so fun. Certainly more challenging than a zoom...cuz...well you gotta move back and forth. :lol
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    My cheapo Canon 50mm lens showed up today, so naturally, I had to slap it on the 10D and shoot a few quick tests. So here's my 30 second review.

Macro is kinda lame and the bokeh is weird with five-blade iris.

2950311-M.jpg

Of course the speed of the lens is nice and seems to be reasonably sharp and contrasty.

2950306-M.jpg

Colors are good. Not bad for a little toy lens :)

2950309-M.jpg

So far so fun. Certainly more challenging than a zoom...cuz...well you gotta move back and forth. :lol
    sad.gif I don't know about you Fish - Here's a guy that puts $69 lens on a 10D and then whines? Laughing.gif It really is a pretty nice lens, but I think the f1.4 is a better choice, since the f1.8 is only one stop faster than your Tamron 28-75f2.8 Di. But then again the f1.4 50mm Canon costs about the same as the Tamron 28-75 zoom too. But it is 2 stops faster........ Ah well - no accounting for taste or some such. Use it in good health.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Use it in good health.lickout.gif
    ty...it's all good. even when it's bad, it's good. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson