Password-protected Galleries: a warning & a request

presencepresence Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited December 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm not sure if this belongs here, the 'I'm stupid' forum, the 'bug report' forum or the 'feature request' forum. So I'll post it here and the admins can move/delete it as they see fit.

I don't use password-protected galleries very often so I'm partly to blame. In other websites, when they ask you for a password, you're usually asked to enter the password twice. However, on Smugmug, you're only asked once and then immediately afterwards for a password hint. I was working on autopilot and automatically entered the password twice. Of course, the password became the hint.

Not a big deal for me but it could be for others.

Can I suggest that Smugmug make you enter the password twice and then ask for the hint. Or maybe include some sort of pop-up warning to guard against 'we don't need to read the instructions'!!:deal Save us for outselves!

Seriously though, I think it's a useability issue. And please don't call me an idiot:dohI've done it already.

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    presence wrote:
    I'm not sure if this belongs here, the 'I'm stupid' forum, the 'bug report' forum or the 'feature request' forum. So I'll post it here and the admins can move/delete it as they see fit.

I don't use password-protected galleries very often so I'm partly to blame. In other websites, when they ask you for a password, you're usually asked to enter the password twice. However, on Smugmug, you're only asked once and then immediately afterwards for a password hint. I was working on autopilot and automatically entered the password twice. Of course, the password became the hint.

Not a big deal for me but it could be for others.

Can I suggest that Smugmug make you enter the password twice and then ask for the hint. Or maybe include some sort of pop-up warning to guard against 'we don't need to read the instructions'!!deal.gif Save us for outselves!

Seriously though, I think it's a useability issue. And please don't call me an idiot11doh.gifI've done it already.
    If you look under customization gallery you can see the password and hint
    so it's easy to change.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • presencepresence Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    If you look under customization gallery you can see the password and hint
    so it's easy to change.
    Hi Allen,
    Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I've figured it out and fixed it now. In my limited experience, I'm not aware of any other website that asks you to enter your password only once (& then asks you for the hint immediately afterwards).

Maybe it's me (being stupid) but I just wanted to warn others that the 'enter password twice' is not an approach that smugmug takes.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    presence wrote:
    I'm not aware of any other website that asks you to enter your password only once (& then asks you for the hint immediately afterwards).

There is a big difference between a gallery password you are setting for others and a password you set to access your own account, whether it be at Smugmug or your bank. The gallery password is always viewable by you, whereas your account password(s) are never displayed, even when entering them for the first time, and if you accidently enter the wrong password while entering you could be locked out of your account. This is why account passwords have the verification step.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug