Options

a blond black moment

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited December 21, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
What is faster: USB 800 or firewire? I think the latter, but did too much computing today, so my mind is fried.
I got my new iMac 24 inch today, and am so happy with it... Beautiful screen, the glossy one, and fast!

Anyone knows an answer to my above question?
Thanks ;o)))

Comments

• Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    What is faster: USB 800 or firewire? I think the latter, but did too much computing today, so my mind is fried.
    I got my new iMac 24 inch today, and am so happy with it... Beautiful screen, the glossy one, and fast!

Anyone knows an answer to my above question?
    Thanks ;o)))
    I don't think there is such a thing as "USB 800". There's USB 2.0, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800. USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mb/s (that's megabit, not byte); FireWire 400 at 400 Mb/s; FireWire 800 at 800 Mb/s. Despite USB 2.0's faster rating, in practice it is slower than even FireWire 400 because USB requires more of your computer's processing power to manage the data transfer. With FireWire, more of the processing is handled by the interface logic chips.

Congrats on the new iMac! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    blalor wrote:
    I don't think there is such a thing as "USB 800". There's USB 2.0, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800. USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mb/s (that's megabit, not byte); FireWire 400 at 400 Mb/s; FireWire 800 at 800 Mb/s. Despite USB 2.0's faster rating, in practice it is slower than even FireWire 400 because USB requires more of your computer's processing power to manage the data transfer. With FireWire, more of the processing is handled by the interface logic chips.

Congrats on the new iMac! bowdown.gif

Thanks Mate... I meant firewire 800. I have an s800 slot for the first time, but had no clue of cable. I found the cable in the box of my external HD that I upto now always used on firewire 400. (The normal firewire cable).
    My brain cell is definitely fried. Thanks for your speedy answer, my disk is happily spinning now on the firewire800.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 20, 2007
    I agree, and I think most Mac users, feel that Firewire 800 is far superior to USB 2.0.

Not that USB 2.0 is terrible, just not as fast in the real world as Firewire 800.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree, and I think most Mac users, feel that Firewire 800 is far superior to USB 2.0.

Not that USB 2.0 is terrible, just not as fast in the real world as Firewire 800.
    Actually, USB 2.0 is slower in practice than FireWire 400.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    I am amazed at the speed that lightroom builds up the catalog now, as I save all my images on an external disk. Before I spent a LOT of time waiting...
    My previous iMac did not have the firewire 800. I am quickly catching up now!
    Thanks for the answers to all of you!
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Firewire 3200 was announced as well as USB 3.0. Any early thoughts on how they stack up?
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Firewire 3200 was announced as well as USB 3.0. Any early thoughts on how they stack up?
    Can't say until they're available for purchase, but I bet the promised vs. delivered bandwidth ratio will remain similar between the two. Oh, and FW3200's backwards compatible. USB 3.0 apparently is not. But I'm just speculatin'.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    blalor wrote:
    Can't say until they're available for purchase, but I bet the promised vs. delivered bandwidth ratio will remain similar between the two. Oh, and FW3200's backwards compatible. USB 3.0 apparently is not. But I'm just speculatin'.

IBM PC Users curently considering an external drive for backups or photo archives should be looking for an eSATA port, faster than either Firewire 800 or USB2.0.

Heres a nice summary of the various external buses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#eSATA_in_comparison_to_other_external_buses