Band Photography: Whiskey Dix 3-5-05

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited March 21, 2005 in People
That night Soraia, Halestorm, Octane, and Polymer were there. I'm just putting a few of my favorites up here. I'm still editing the Octane and Polymer images, but I might have them up as soon as tomorrow.

MainFragger

Comments

• MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Whiskey Dix
    That night Soraia, Halestorm, Octane, and Polymer were there. I'm just putting a few of my favorites up here. I'm still editing the Octane and Polymer images, but I might have them up as soon as tomorrow.

MainFragger
    Just to clarify, the first 2 images are Soraia, the next two will be Halestorm.

MainFragger
    edited March 13, 2005
    Halestorm1
    Just to clarify, the first 2 images are Soraia, the next two will be Halestorm.

MainFragger
    Halestorm at Whiskey Dix
    edited March 13, 2005
    Halestorm2
    Hope you like..
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    why wasn't I invitied?? :lol

thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great time! I just love small venues :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Halestrom 1 has a really nice look to it, fraggie. The light's really interesting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nice.

I've been asked to take a few pics of a band that will be performing soon. I was planning on using my canon 70-200 2.8 L IS with no flash.

Any tips? I always like to learn what NOT TO DO before hand. Experience may be a great teacher, but I don't know anyone who would of rather learned by sticking their hand in the fire as opposed to being told not to do it.:D
    edited March 13, 2005
    I was invited...
    why wasn't I invitied?? :lol

thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great time! I just love small venues :D
    Actually, I met the band Soraia through a friend of mine. I shot them almost a year ago..and then recently I ran into them on myspace.com and they sent me an invite to the event.

MainFragger
    edited March 13, 2005
    Which Canon?
    Khaos wrote:
    Nice.

I've been asked to take a few pics of a band that will be performing soon. I was planning on using my canon 70-200 2.8 L IS with no flash.

Any tips? I always like to learn what NOT TO DO before hand. Experience may be a great teacher, but I don't know anyone who would of rather learned by sticking their hand in the fire as opposed to being told not to do it.:D
    The camera I am using has a bult-in barrel that supports up to 12X zoom at F2.8 and with OIS. I just shot manually..and used different adjustments..I mostly shot with an external flash and flash handle. But there were also some shots that I shot without a flash..and then just lowered the shutter speed to 1/5-1/30 of a second and F4.0 at iso 50 or 100. Keep in mind, this is all handheld. If you have a pro Canon, you can probably get away with setting higher ISO's.

For some of the half lit/half lightbeam pics, I used the flash, but used a higher aperature, and slower shutter speed to get the effect. Like F8.0 and 1/5.

MainFragger
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Nice.

Here's a thread with some thoughts.

Andy also suggest shooting in Aperature Priority and dialing in -2/3 or -1 Exposure Compensation.

I tried full Manual at the last show I did, completely forgot Andy's advice. 11doh.gif Thanks for making me go back and read it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Thanks. It'll be an interesting experience.
    edited March 21, 2005
    A few shots of Octane...
    Octane at Whiskey Dix 3-5-05
    edited March 21, 2005
    More Octane...
    More Octane...
    edited March 21, 2005
    Last Octane images for now...
    Octane..