Ahhh...That New Lens Smell!!!!

DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Cameras
:barbYep, that's right, went and picked up the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens this morning! Brand Spankin New!! I live on Oahu, Hawaii and there is only two choices for camera stores here...RITZ Camera eh... Or KAIMUKI CAMERA YAY!!! Its a little tiny hole in the wall privatley owned mom and pop joint, but they sure know customer service there, and they do not take returns so you know everything they have is MINT!! and they have way more in stock than RITZ ever does. I can't wait to get out and shoot this bad boy on my EOS 40D, Had to work all day so couldnt try it out. I will definately post some photos up when I take some!!! :clap

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    That lens is probably my favorite lens for the type of shooting I do. It is tack sharp at F8 or higher. The IS is fantastic and the IQ is excellent. Good choice. You will have fun with it for sure! Congrats.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    DeuceFour wrote:
    wings.gifYep, that's right, went and picked up the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens this morning! Brand Spankin New!! I live on Oahu, Hawaii and there is only two choices for camera stores here...RITZ Camera eh... Or KAIMUKI CAMERA YAY!!! Its a little tiny hole in the wall privatley owned mom and pop joint, but they sure know customer service there, and they do not take returns so you know everything they have is MINT!! and they have way more in stock than RITZ ever does. I can't wait to get out and shoot this bad boy on my EOS 40D, Had to work all day so couldnt try it out. I will definately post some photos up when I take some!!! clap.gif
    I have a somewhat off-topic question for you about Canon nomenclature. Why do some of their zooms use an f-stop range in their names (like your new toy), while others (such as the 70 - 200 f/2.8) only a single maximum aperture? Does the maximum aperture on yours vary according to focal length or is it something else altogether?
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    KED wrote:
    Does the maximum aperture on yours vary according to focal length...

Bingo. thumb.gif
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Bingo. thumb.gif
    Thanks! I'm not even going to bother pondering the physics of that - don't even want to know.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Enjoy. I've owned that lens for 2 years and love, love, love it. The only drawback is the f/8 to f/11 sweet spot limiting the lighting conditions you can shoot under without a tripod.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Ya I read a lot of reviews about the sweet spot, and thats fine with me, I will probably always be using at least a monopod or tripod with what I will be doing anyway. Thanks for all the feedback!!!!!!!