CS2 -> CS3 upgrade or not ?

z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
edited December 30, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi,
I got a problem since sometime -
I have CS2 and I'm happy with it :wink

Should I upgrade to CS3 ?
If yes - why ?
I read that not everybody is CS3 hard rock bottom fan.
Thanks
D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have CS2 and I'm happy with it mwink.gif

If yes - why ?
    Thanks
    I wasnt that sold on it at first, looked like a step sideways ..i dont know how to explain it but i really do like it now (insert here all the things 3 has over 2)

Yeah i know...not a lot of help to you but im a bit of a PS hack and if i can see some benefit then anyone can.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 21, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have CS2 and I'm happy with it mwink.gif

If yes - why ?
    Thanks

I just upgraded, so I am probably not the best source of wisdom on the matter. The biggest advantages for me so far have not been in PS, but rather in Bridge and ACR, both of which are vastly improved. If you are also using Lightroom, then you already have the benefit of these, but if not, then the upgrade is worth it just for the new Bridge and ACR.

In PS itself, the refine edges command is very nice if you need to do a complex selection. There is a new B&W conversion adjustment layer that is much more powerful than the old channel mixer. Filters can be made non-destructive, though so far, that hasn't saved me much time. There are also quite a few enhancements to existing functions, but I don't have enough experience with them yet to say what they're worth.

All in all, I am quite glad that I did the upgrade, but then, I don't have Lightroom.

Cheers,
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 21, 2007
    I did not play with the beta of CS3 so I was a little slow on the uptake.

But I think CS3 is a slam dunk better than CS2! No comparison. CS2 is like working with handcuffs on for me now.

Adobe RAW 4.3 is a Major step up in workflow for me. The Refine Edge command alone was worth the upgrade - selections can be done so much better and faster. The Quick Selection tool also I was slow to warm to, but find I really like after learning its use a bit. The B&W image menu is so much better than Channel Selector that I no longer use Channel selector for B&Ws - great for channel blending.

If you do routine editing with selections, and shoot in RAW, you owe it to yourself to experience CS3. 'nuff said!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I tried beta CS3 and after going back to CS2 i feel like something is missing.
    My first thing about it was raw processing, a lot more feautres there, i have lightroom and never use it. ne_nau.gif just not comfortable with it. CS3 also stars up in no time, where CS2 just takes forever to start. I don't know what the issue is.

So, if i had money, i would upgrade with no questions.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Thank you guys !! iloveyou.gif

Looks as I'll stay with good ol' CS2 for a while longer.
    I shot RAW for direct request only, don't use Bridge or ACR or ...
    That Refine Edge thing sounds nice,
    but maybe CS4 will bring something extra hot.

Happy New Year 2008 to You ALL !
    thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    What is it you do with photoshop? Maybe that can help us understand if CS3 is better for you or not.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Enhancing wedding photos, preparing pics for dgrin.com, etc rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    To me it depends on what you consider "enhancing".

It sounds like you can do everything in Lr and leave CS2 around for the heavy lifting. I really like CS3. But I also do design projects where I create things from a blank canvas on Ps or Il.
    I rarely open up Ps for a photo anymore. It's just too much of a hassle now that Lr has entered the picture.

Startup times are amazingly faster. There are some very nice real time adjustment sliders. The refine selection tool is fantastic. ACR is very new & improved. But it sounds like you don't refine edges or make any changes that you can't do in ACR already.

It's always fun to get new toys. But buying CS3 sounds like it would be like having a brand new small block tossed in your Z28 and live in a town where there's nothing but speed traps. You'll never have a chance to really wind it out and see what all the commotion is about. To be honest even photogs that really use Ps to it's limits still only use abut half of the application. That's jsut the nature of the application though. It's a design tool that has been fitted to work for photogs IMO.

I'm not saying don't buy it. I'm just giving my input to try in helping you make an educated decision.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    Enhancing wedding photos, preparing pics for dgrin.com, etc rolleyes1.gif
    Well you're in luck. You can do that with Photoshop CS1. Or Photoshop 7 for that matter. I can't think of a reason you'd ever need to upgrade from CS2. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    I am wild about CS3. It is way faster to start off with. The refine edge is a great tool. The possibility of working with smart filters and smart layers is the best. I am not mentioning here the almost breath takingly wonderful merge function CS3 has... Blending and aligning layers have become mind boggling good. I use both CS3 and lightroom next to each other, could not do either the one or the other. They are pretty much complementary. The spot and heal tool in lightroom is good, but if it is really being a pain, the new clone tool with possibility to fiddle with source is GREAT... in CS3. If I can't do it in LR, I know it will be able to fix it in CS3.
    You can't compare CS3 with the previous versions. For me, it has become a total new application, that I have open 16 hours a day on my computer.
    It is a bit of a drag with Leopard, some things are not as smoothly as they should be, but I am sure that they will brush that up soon.
    If you can afford CS3, get it. You will NOT be sorry.