Girls HS BB

DaladoDalado Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Sports
First time shooting Girls BB with the D50, and along time since I shot at all. Umm, SMode at 325, ISO 800, with a flash made in the 90's sometime. Any tips or thoughts.

234465804-S-1.jpg
234471672-S-1.jpg
234461345-S-1.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    well, if your using flash , I would think you could shoot at 400 iso or less. the pics look good to me. the thing with flash is I dislike the shadow in the background. maybe you can bounce it off of something?
    other than that , I think you did fine in my opinion.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    I think if I were playing basketball and you fired a flash at me I would throw a pass down your lens......rolleyes1.gif Seriously, I think it is a good way to get a player injured if the flash is camera mounted. No big deal if the flash is located up high in the building and fired wirelessly. I use camera mounted flash in HS gyms all the time, but not during a game. I resort to ISO1600 and large aperature lenses. I still send a lot to the recycle bin, but I wouldn't want a player to miss a shot, or be injured because they saw starz.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Flash use is always a debated topic. I prefer not to use it for basketball because it presents too many problems. But as for annoying players, it really doesn't. It's a fairly common practice in a lot of places. In Ohio, it's allowed for basketball, wrestling and swimming after the start - but not for volleyball or gymnastics where there is greater chance of injury.

As for these shots, here are some general suggestions:
    1. Post larger shots for review. No one on dgrin is going to steal your shots.

2. Don't watermark the shots you post here - again no one here is going to steal them.

3. Create a custom watermark - the PROOF is very annoying and distracting to potential customers.

The first two shots look pretty good - but it's hard to judge quality at such a small size. The third one isn't that interesting and the shadow cast from the flash is really distracting in this shot in particular.
  • DaladoDalado Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Thanks! I dont know if I can go without a flash at the moment. I am using a very poor lens, even though I just ordered a 55-200 4-5.6 VR Nikon, I dont think with that one I will have enough to go without a flash. Just not in my budget for a good one.

I am pleased to say though, that the 2nd photo was just sold, and have been selling a few others. I never thought I would sell any, but I have!!

Thanks for the tips and how to post and present my photos.

D.
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    i shoot ncaa div II basketball on a fairly regular basis and pretty much every photog there shoots with flash on camera, with the exception of 1 guy who mounts 2 flashes on each side of the court on the low bleacher handrails...which still puts the flashes only about 6 feet off the ground right near the baseline.

there's really nothing in a gym to bounce from. ive tried shooting there using my gary phong lightsphere but i lose too much light with it, even if i use max power on my SB-600. ive also tried one of my business cards and a rubber band but i still lose too much light.

there's no catwalks to mount strobes on in the ceiling either =/

the lens you picked up should do ok as long as you're using flash. the best b-ball snaps are usually full body shots where its 1-on-1 and the ball handler is dribbling past the defender, or a fast break. i try to stop the action of the person's feet since that's whats usually moving the fastest. my d50 syncs with flash at 1/500, so that's usually not a problem. i like to be able to read the writing on the shoes. if i can't, i usually toss the pic unless something amazing is happening in the rest of it.

ive found that correctly exposing white jerseys with direct flash is difficult at best. many of them have reflective numbers or words sewn into the jersey which of course comes back blown out pretty often. i usually just spray-n-pray, and hope i didn't catch a reflection.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Dalado wrote:
    I am pleased to say though, that the 2nd photo was just sold, and have been selling a few others. I never thought I would sell any, but I have!!
    D.

CONGRATULATIONS clap.gif
    It really is a great feeling to make a sale. Hopefully you'll have many more in your future!