Amsterdam this morning

JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
edited December 24, 2007 in Landscapes
It has been cold for days now. And really foggy. I cycle to work straight through Amsterdam Center every day from West to East. Yesterday I noticed the frozen fog in the trees so today I stepped out of my front door with the camera on me. And I found Amsterdam covered in a thin layer of snow!

1 Corner Kinkerstraat/Ten Kate Markt. This is still in my neighbourhood.

IMG_6698.jpg

2 The corner of the Elandsgracht and the Prinsengracht. This is where I enter the Jordaan-quarter every morning.

IMG_6703.jpg

3 Still the Prinsengracht, 100 meters past the Anne Frank house. This will be our Christmas card this year :D

IMG_6705.jpg

4 This is the Noordermarkt across the canal. Great biological food market here every Saturday morning. It is getting lighter now. Here I realised I would be late for work today.

IMG_6712.jpg

5 Tonight at 17.30h behind the Central Station on my way back home. This is the stop for the taxiboat to villages West of Amsterdam.

IMG_6726.jpg

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    I loved visiting Amsterdam; I hated the parking. The first time I visited, I parked, got out of my car, and to remember where I parked, I looked up and saw a big Heineken sign, and thought, 'Ok, I'm right by the big Heineken sign'. That was a mistake! I spent all that night, until 10am the next morning walking around, passing by what seemed to me like hundreds of Heineken signs.rolleyes1.gifThe polizie had to finally find my auto for me. I tended to go to Maastricht mostly after that, though I did like camping whenever I could out on the beach near Haarlem. Thanks for posting these shots. They are nice shots, and brought back, mostly nice, memories.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    Beautiful photos
    Got my crumpler bag from Amsterdam mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    I loved visiting Amsterdam; I hated the parking. The first time I visited, I parked, got out of my car, and to remember where I parked, I looked up and saw a big Heineken sign, and thought, 'Ok, I'm right by the big Heineken sign'. That was a mistake! I spent all that night, until 10am the next morning walking around, passing by what seemed to me like hundreds of Heineken signs.rolleyes1.gifThe polizie had to finally find my auto for me. I tended to go to Maastricht mostly after that, though I did like camping whenever I could out on the beach near Haarlem. Thanks for posting these shots. They are nice shots, and brought back, mostly nice, memories.

I'm sorry you were so frustrated but that was a hilarious story! Sounds like something I would do lol3.gif

Thanks for sharing the lovely scenes from Amsterdam! Does it not snow much there? I particularly love the serenity of the last.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    How much for shipping that snow to Helsinki?rolleyes1.gif

Great photos! Love the eerie blue hue.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Love the photos of Amsterdam! Just a reminder to myself I really need to go back... drink a little less beer (ok alot less beer) and see some more of the sites. Also thanks for being late. Your 4th and 2nd pictures are great!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Lovely photos. Amsterdam is very beautiful indeed, Ive only bin there a couple of hours before we were heading to Amsterdam arena and Sensation black..Wich of course was a blast!. It struck med tho that the city has much to offer. Maby i will bring my dslr next time.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    leaforte wrote:

Haha!

You know, here in Saudi Arabia when we want to be chronic and someone wants to know where someplace is we say "Oh, it's near the mosque..."

There is, of course, a mosque, at least one, in every block!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Thank you, I really love Amsterdam. Never seen it in the snow before as I always went in April.

Ahhh I need to go back too....Your pictures are a curse and a gift....

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp