Options

I'm curious - how did I get the lens hood in my photo?

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
edited December 22, 2007 in Technique
Moderators - I didn't have a clue where to post this question. If I stuck it in the wrong forum, please move to a more appropriate spot!
I've never had this happen before. I was out shooting yesterday and I ended up with a couple of shots (all taken in the same location) where the lens hood shows in the corner of the shot.

I was using a Sigma 18-125, which has a pretty short hood. Other shots taken at the same time did not show the hood. The sun was to my right in this shot.

It's a curiosity... Would be nice to know what conditions cause this so I can attempt to avoid them the next time.

234698988-M.jpg

What did I do (wrong)?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Welcome to the rest of the forum Denise!
    18mm is pretty wide. Do you have any other shots in this series that are at the same focal length as this one? I'll bet this is a flower lens hood though due to the corners only being affected.

My 18-55 always "catches" the lens hood when I have it on and I'm zoomed out to 18-20. So I just reverse it. This may not be a viable option for you since your lens is longer.

BTW:
    I'm always in technique. This question is in the right spot!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Welcome to the rest of the forum Denise!
    18mm is pretty wide. Do you have any other shots in this series that are at the same focal length as this one? I'll bet this is a flower lens hood though due to the corners only being affected.

My 18-55 always "catches" the lens hood when I have it on and I'm zoomed out to 18-20. So I just reverse it. This may not be a viable option for you since your lens is longer.

BTW:
    I'm always in technique. This question is in the right spot!
    There were three shots where I saw the hood, all shot at 18mm. I just looked again, and there was at least one other photos that was shot at 18mm in the same location that was fine - but although I was standing in the same place, I was looking out in a very different direction.

I've shot many other shots at 18mm though, and I've never seen this behavior before. I also have a Canon 10-20 (but I wasn't using it yesterday...) and haven't seen it with that lens either, even shooting at 10mm.

Do you know what causes this? Is it the angle of the sun?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    Definitely not the angle of the sun. It shouldn't matter if your taking a shot of a piece of paper or Pluto. The only thing your looking at is what's a few inches away from your sensor.

Can you post an example of one w/o lens hood @18mm from the same series?

My first thoughts is you just mounted the lens hood differently that day. But if you have other shots w/o lens hood on the same day...

We'll figure this out! Jsut eliminating the obvious at this point.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Definitely not the angle of the sun. It shouldn't matter if your taking a shot of a piece of paper or Pluto. The only thing your looking at is what's a few inches away from your sensor.

Can you post an example of one w/o lens hood @18mm from the same series?

My first thoughts is you just mounted the lens hood differently that day. But if you have other shots w/o lens hood on the same day...

We'll figure this out! Just eliminating the obvious at this point.
    I had the same thought on the lens hood, but as you said other shots taken at the same time (and without touching the lens hood) didn't have the problem. Here's another shot from yesterday shot at 18mm.

234867708-M.jpg

Whenever I see something like my lens hood mystery I always figure it's something I did... Thanks for helping me with my puzzle!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    Oh wait! I just looked at the time stamps of the two photos, and the one in the second post was taken 7 minutes later than the photo that shows the problem.

I was starting to head towards home at that point, and although my memory is a little fuzzy, I believe second photo I posted was taken farther down the road. And I suppose that means it's quite possible that I didn't have the lens hood attached properly in the first shot.

See - I knew it had to be something (stupid) that I did.

Thank you!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    That's not stupid Denise!
    Stupid is leaving your camera at ISO 1600 for a daylight shoot from the night beforerolleyes1.gif

Gald I could help!

-Jon
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    Thanks for helping me with my puzzle!
    The least I could do w/ the uncountable times you've helped out w/ customizing my site!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Two corners covered means a petal hood that's not fully attached, ie turned a bit. A zoom lens will catch it at the wide end, because the longer petals intended for the short edge are now on the diagonal.

And it's not stupid, it's an effect to put into good use :D

I've got one here somewhere... 'ang on a sec...

Lennokit_Henttaa_2-6-07_026_edited-1_640px.jpg

That's the one thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    pyry wrote:
    And it's not stupid, it's an effect to put into good use :D
    Ah, but that's only if you meant to create that effect. Now I suppose I'll need to remember that for the time when I want the corners cut off!

The good thing about this passion for playing with cameras is that I don't think I'm ever going to run out of new things to learn.

Thanks.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Ah, but that's only if you meant to create that effect.
    Who says luck doesn't count? lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/