Options

Troubling Event with Image Upload

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited December 27, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I took a handful of test shots yesterday. Because there were so few of them, I uploaded them into Lightroom directly from the camera. Once the upload was complete, I got an error message in LR saying "unable to eject card". The camera was still acting as if it was uploading -- little red light flashing and "busy" flashing on the top LCD. After a while, when it became clear that it was not going to get out of this loop by itself, I just shut the camera off and disconnected it.

This has never happened before, and the camera appears to be functioning fine (Canon says it's NOT the camera, which doesn't have an "eject card" option of course), but I'm concerned that this might indicate an issue with the CF card or something else that could come back to haunt me at the worst possible time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    When I started digital years ago I used a CF card reader. Glad I did and still do, especially as over the years I hear all sorts of flakey stories about cameras plugged into PCs/Macs directly having issues. I also do all my file management on-camera rather than my PC/Mac O/S.

That said, have you checked Adobe's website re: a fix ne_nau.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    thread bump
    Thanks David.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    oddly enough, the one and ONLY time I had lost a days worth of photos was using a card reader... I use my cam now and have been for years with no problems...except for the wait!!! Grrrrrr!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    That said, have you checked Adobe's website re: a fix ne_nau.gif
    I searched the knowledge base (nothing) and have just posted about it in Lightroom Forums.

I did another batch of shots on Christmas, and used a card reader with no recurrence of the problem. It's hard to believe that a cheesy little $19 card reader is a safer bet than the camera, but that does seem to be the consensus (other than the post immediately above).
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    It's hard to believe that a cheesy little $19 card reader is a safer bet than the camera, but that does seem to be the consensus (other than the post immediately above).[/QUOTE]

O yes... I never use the camera straight on the computer. I drag the folder from the flash card via the card reader to my desktop - and then check whether the files are actually on the desktop before ejecting the card.
    Then I drag the folder onto my external hard drive where I keep all my pics, and after that I import in Lightroom referencing the files to the folder in the exact place where they are. I save my folders by daymonthyearsubject.
    I do make a new lightroom catalogue for each month, keeps my catalogues speedy, and very easy to find things back.
    I once used an ipod for back up for my flash card, it took forever, drained my batteries, and I lost all the pics.
    I firmly believe in a card reader (they even have firewire's now).

After I have my pics in my catalogue, I then reformat the flash card in camera...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 27, 2007
    I never connect my camera to my computer for access to CF card data.

I ALWAYS use a card reader.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin