Recent Girls HS Basketball

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited December 24, 2007 in Sports
All were shot with the D50, 85 1.8 with ISO at 1600, manual mode 1.8/320-500.
I used a gray wall to set WB. I am planning on getting an expodisc for better WB. I am not totally happy with the focus of the 85mm as it seems to have focus issues with moving objects, but it could be related to the camera itself. It is pretty sharp for still objects though.

235071937-L.jpg

235071217-L.jpg

235071794-L.jpg

235073709-L.jpg

235074457-L.jpg

235072436-L.jpg

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Hey John,

Nice grabs!

I don't think it's the D50. I use a D50 and D70 and I prefer the D50 and find it focuses faster than those girls will EVER move. So it may be the lighting conditions. Remember your shooting @ ISO 1600.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I hope so. I have tried different AF settings, areas etc, but it will focus on peculier areas. I haven't really tested the lens out too much in controlled circumstances, but I hope to with some time off the next couple of days. My first day trying it out I shot a hummingbird and the focus and the sharpness were spot on, but that was in direct sunlight at ISO 200.
    edited December 23, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    I hope so. I have tried different AF settings, areas etc, but it will focus on peculier areas. I haven't really tested the lens out too much in controlled circumstances, but I hope to with some time off the next couple of days. My first day trying it out I shot a hummingbird and the focus and the sharpness were spot on, but that was in direct sunlight at ISO 200.
    I'm confidant that's the denominator. How bright your ambient is. Let us know if you prove this or come up w/ something different though.
  • PhotoHoundPhotoHound Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Great action! I really love #'s 3 and 6 - fantastic facial expressions. Exposures don't look too bad to me, it sure can be a lot worse in other gyms...

Nice Work
    edited December 24, 2007
    Thanks. This is a well lit gym and I decided to try to shoot without the flash. This gym does lend itslef to bounce lighting however.
    edited December 24, 2007
    What does the gym meter at?
    Even if your eyes say well lit. A meter reading will tell you exactly. You don't need an expensive meter to do this. Your meter in camera will get you close enough for a reading.
    edited December 24, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    What does the gym meter at?
    Even if your eyes say well lit. A meter reading will tell you exactly. You don't need an expensive meter to do this. Your meter in camera will get you close enough for a reading.

What I do is put the camera in A mode and then take shots. I get a decent average of the shutterspeed and then go in M mode adjust from there. It's propably not the way to do it, but I am still learning.