Options

Moon and Mars

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
If skies are clear in your area on Sunday night, Dec. 23, you'll be able to partake in a rather unusual sight as the full moon appears to glide very closely above the planet Mars.

Mars, which made its closest approach to the Earth on Dec. 18, will be only hours from a Christmas Eve opposition with the sun and is now shining prominently with a bright yellow-orange glow.

235318020-L.jpg

Went out a took a quick look and shot!

Z

Mars will be closer to Earth this month than any time until the year 2016.

The red planet is now the brightest "star" in the evening sky and is already above the horizon as evening twilight fades away. But give it at least two more hours – until about 8 p.m. – for it to climb above the poor atmospheric seeing that's near the horizon. By then, this brilliant yellow-orange world will be at an altitude of around 30 degrees as seen from mid-northern latitudes.
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Another crop
    235323445-L.jpg
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Last One
    235324992-L.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    HA! I thought that was Mars! I was looking at the moon tonight and saw Mars beside it and so I think to myself, "Self, I believe that would be Mars that I see next to the moon." I thought about trying to capture it but its too misty and rainy here tonight. Thanks for sharing - my son will be thrilled to see your thread.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    If skies are clear in your area on Sunday night, Dec. 23, you'll be able to partake in a rather unusual sight as the full moon appears to glide very closely above the planet Mars.

Mars, which made its closest approach to the Earth on Dec. 18, will be only hours from a Christmas Eve opposition with the sun and is now shining prominently with a bright yellow-orange glow.

Went out a took a quick look and shot!
    Z

Mars will be closer to Earth this month than any time until the year 2016.

The red planet is now the brightest "star" in the evening sky and is already above the horizon as evening twilight fades away. But give it at least two more hours – until about 8 p.m. – for it to climb above the poor atmospheric seeing that's near the horizon. By then, this brilliant yellow-orange world will be at an altitude of around 30 degrees as seen from mid-northern latitudes.

Awwwww shucks, we've had heaps of rain for the last 5 days,
    so the sky's have been rather cloudy.
    (Good for us though clap.gif cause we need the rain)

Would have been good to see.
    You moon shots are incrediably sharp I must say :ivar
    Thanks for sharing Zanotti .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    I saw that last night as I was driving to the traditional family gathering 90 miles further south, so there was no way to shoot that. Darn!!

What a great spectacle!!

I was certain it had to be Mars, as the "star" was a very definite orange, and that spelled "Mars" to me.

Your images look very nice, George, but they do not have the orange I saw last night in the sky.

Feliz Natal to you and your family.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Hey Jim:

Yes, to the naked eye it looked very red. When I did the PP on the moon to geta good shot, the red goes pretty much away. When I blow up the shot, mars is only about 4 pixels wide and tall, I can make it red, but that would be fake - these are really the planet!

I hope you and your family had a great Christmas,

Z (G)
  • Options
    ABCapturesABCaptures Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    how cool is that!!!! great capture, TFS awesome
    Hi, I'm Ashley
    *Love every creature*
    Gear: Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm & 75-300mm

• Options
    pthorpepthorpe Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Very well done ... full moon is tough .. can we know the technical details?
    Lens/exposure and such?

-peter-
    Thoughts become things ... pick the good ones!

www.digitallifephotography.com
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Is that what that bright dot next to the moon was?!? I thought it was just some sensor dust on my eye.
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Great shot! I saw that while I was playing around on the beach. I only had a 5yr old sony point and shoot with me (and don't really know what I'm doing). Mine didn't turn out as well as yours:)

normal_DSC00489.JPG
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I saw it on the 23rd, but my camera wasn't at hand. Anyway, here's last night's view from Virginny . . .

236632625-O.jpg

70-200 @ 200, 100% crop
    Tim
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Very cool. I love the amount of detail you got of the moon! clap.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    BikePilot wrote:
    Very cool. I love the amount of detail you got of the moon! clap.gif

You get more detail with a waxing or waning moon because the light is coming from an angle. Full moon is pretty, but the dead-on light washes out the shadows, ergo less detail.

Nice job on these - I would also love to see the shooting info - exposure times, focal length etc.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    235324992-L.jpg

For mine the conditions are:

Canon 30D, 70-200f2.8IS, tripod mounted, 1/400 @f9. ISO 200

Remember, its a sun lit object so the sunny 16 rule applies. See Pathfinder's tutorial:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3762805

That's how I learned to do it!

Z
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    For mine the conditions are:

Canon 30D, 70-200f2.8IS, tripod mounted, 1/400 @f9. ISO 200

Remember, its a sun lit object so the sunny 16 rule applies. See Pathfinder's tutorial:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3762805

That's how I learned to do it!

Z

Yours is quite a bit sharper than mine.

Shot info. for mine (above):
    Nikon D70, with Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR
    Spot-meter, Manual
    f4, 1/250, ISO200
    handheld
    Tim
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    Harvey:

Yours looks very good as well. I always think I am tougher on my own images. There is a fair amount of PP in mine to get it that sharp, and I think the tripod helps!

Good shooting!

Z
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Harvey:

Yours looks very good as well. I always think I am tougher on my own images. There is a fair amount of PP in mine to get it that sharp, and I think the tripod helps!

Good shooting!

Z

Were the images cropped to get the moon to look that big? I shot an eclipse a couple of years ago with a 300mm lens and I had to crop quite a bit to get it fill the frame.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    Oh yes, tons. Its really far away, you know!

Z
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Oh yes, tons. Its really far away, you know!

Z
    Oh, only about 233, 855 miles or so!

Thanks, those shots are great.