Transylvania County North Carolina

kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Landscapes
Each October I make my annual pilgrimage to the mountains of NC to camp and take in the fall foliage. This year I setup camp at Cascade Lake outside of Brevard in Transylvania Co. By all accounts I read, the county has the most waterfalls than any other county in the state, much of the East coast and more than most in the country. They also claim to have white squirrels. but alas, I did not see one.

So anyway, by the time I got everything setup it was close to dark thirty. This did not bother me because of the five hour drive, plus stopping at a friends house for awhile added another 2 hours. The next morning I discovered what I was going to be waking up to for the next week.

Before the sun broke through the fog. (first cup of coffee)
DSC_3637_edited-1.jpg

Shortly afterwards. (near the bottom of the first cup of coffee)
DSC_3640_edited-1.jpg

Second cup of coffee.
DSC_3995_edited-1.jpg

Third cup of coffee and after a visit to the bathhouse.
DSC_3999_edited-1.jpg

I realize that is now late December and these were taken in October, but hey, I just joined.

I can post more later but I wanted to test the waters with these. Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill

Comments

• macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I really like the tree lines in the first picture. They move inward from the corners of the frame toward the mountain in the middle. That is really neat.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Beautiful photos. clap.gifclap.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif I love the progression of your warm caffeinated beverages. You gotta keep it all in perspective! :D

Beautiful foliage and perfect glassy stillness on that water. thumb.gif
  • digital2006digital2006 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    These should be on postcards...love um...Great job.
    Marty
  • RockRock Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    Beautiful images. I really need to get out that way soon. I have heard it is worth the drive......
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On........

Christopher Kimball Photojournalism
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    macmac, dallas, schmoo, digital2006 and Rock - Thanks so much for your kind words. The NC mountains are a beautiful part of the world and I am hoping to move there in early Spring.

This years drought in the South East had an adverse affect on the foliage during the time of my visit, as well as on the watershed coming off the waterfalls. Some of the falls were mere trickles. I was also at a lower elevation than usual and that may have thrown my timming off to get near-peak colors. The day I went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway hoping for more vivid colors was a complete whiteout, not being able to see more than twenty feet ahead of you. Scary.

I would like to post some shots of the waterfalls if it's okay. Should I start another thread or post them in this one?

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    kundalini wrote:
    I would like to post some shots of the waterfalls if it's okay. Should I start another thread or post them in this one?

Of course it's ok! rolleyes1.gif

Either or, new thread or old. It's your preference thumb.gif
  • WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Nice Captures!
    I love Transylvania County - the whole area is a nature photographer's paradise. I live in Asheville which is the next county over. I've heard the same thing, more waterfalls in Transylvania than any other county in the US. North Carolina actually has between 1,000 and 1,500 waterfalls with around 500 that can be considered significant.
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    I love Transylvania County - the whole area is a nature photographer's paradise. I live in Asheville which is the next county over. I've heard the same thing, more waterfalls in Transylvania than any other county in the US. North Carolina actually has between 1,000 and 1,500 waterfalls with around 500 that can be considered significant.

Yeah, I love the area so much that I am planning to move there in the spring.

• DaladoDalado Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Great photos! You can just feel that it's morning and one of those cool mornings. On a side note, only been through that county once and that was on my way to a wedding. Always wondered what was in it.

D.