QImage Equivalent

richcrabrichcrab Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 15, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I've had lots of success with QImage for the PC in getting inkjet prints superior to the output I used to get with Photoshop. I think QImage has superior rasterizing/sharpening logarithms, and so forth. Is there any equivalent for the Mac? I know there are things like ImageBuddy and so forth, but they are more aimed at basic layout and/or simple edits, from what I understanding.

Thanks.

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Hi Rich & welcome to DGrin thumb.gif
    I use qimage but I'm sorry I don't know of a Mac alternative. Hold on I'm sure someone will chip in with something shortly, there's enough of 'em (mac users) around!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    richcrab wrote:
    I've had lots of success with QImage for the PC in getting inkjet prints superior to the output I used to get with Photoshop. I think QImage has superior rasterizing/sharpening logarithms, and so forth. Is there any equivalent for the Mac? I know there are things like ImageBuddy and so forth, but they are more aimed at basic layout and/or simple edits, from what I understanding.

Thanks.
    The only RIP I'm familiar with is ImagePrint 6 and I wish I knew a lot more about using it - but it is available for the MAC. I don't know about QImage, sorry. ImagePrint 6 is a sophisticated printing driver that is supposed to have much better control of ink flow, cgr, etc. Micheal Reichman has written a article praising it on the Luminmous Landscape. But it ain't cheap.

The topic of improving our printing ability with the better ink jet printers is of great inteest to me though also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    I was hoping someone would come up with a good answer for you. Pathfinder has the only one I can give as well. Imageprint is awesome. I wish I owned it, but it is a very expensive piece of software compared to Qimage. I only use Macs so I don't really know too much about it, but I know it is supposed to be a great program, especially for the price.

I print on my Epson 2200 via Photoshop and I am very happy with the results that it delivers.

What are you specifically doing in Qimage that it is doing better than PS? If you set up the color management and print with preview correctly in PS and have resized the image and have a good printer profile the results should look excellent.
  • richcrabrichcrab Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 15, 2005
    QImage follow up
    First, thanks for the replies everyone. I started off on the PC using Photoshop and I did work through an effective color management system that gave me pretty good results. However, I found that using QImage gave me sharper prints with better results than the traditional unsharpen mask in P-shop. Also, I found that printing through Photoshop I would sometimes see 'jaggies' on diagonal edges (often on buildings), whereas QImage gave me a much nicer image -- probably better antialiasing logarithms or something.

Rich
    patch29 wrote:
    I was hoping someone would come up with a good answer for you. Pathfinder has the only one I can give as well. Imageprint is awesome. I wish I owned it, but it is a very expensive piece of software compared to Qimage. I only use Macs so I don't really know too much about it, but I know it is supposed to be a great program, especially for the price.

I print on my Epson 2200 via Photoshop and I am very happy with the results that it delivers.

What are you specifically doing in Qimage that it is doing better than PS? If you set up the color management and print with preview correctly in PS and have resized the image and have a good printer profile the results should look excellent.