Kyoto

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited December 28, 2007 in People
Rumor has it that Schmoo and I went to Japan last month. I've been seriously slack on processing anything, and lord knows I can't write like she can. The set bridges People and F&S, so I'm putting it here as it was a Journey :dunno.

The American side of Japan :
I found this scene immensely amusing. This was one of, if not THE, only American car I saw the whole time in Japan... Parked next to a Coca-cola machine? The juxtaposition was just too much for me.
235518542-L-2.jpg

Staring at the sun:
Shot from the hip, I must have had to take this shot 3 times due to bad settings. His stance here was okay, but the earlier ones were much better. Salvageable, but my memory makes it a disappointing shot.
235518572-L-2.jpg

Rush Hour:
This is my favorite from the day. The tangle of power/telephone lines, the bustle of traffic in the background, then the lone bicycler up front. Just makes me happy, and I don't know why.
235518612-L-2.jpg

Life's Weight:
This TINY old lady came into my frame while I was trying to shoot a pano around the corner and then her cart just kept coming... there was more and more and more of it. (Try to imagine seeing this through the camera as she walks across your shot). Her face was SO expressive, but I wasn't able to get any good shots of that not having a long enough lens with me. But she was hauling that huge cart effortlessly, or at least apparently so. I was so curious as to what her story was, because we never saw anything like that anywhere else.
235518645-L-2.jpg

Rushing Prayers:
Tuesdays are holy days in Kyoto (at least, cue lack of Buddhist/Japanese culture here) and the Monks where walking along the back streets ... bellowing is the volume, but not the right word. Chanting at extreme volume? Calling people to the streets. At one point they all started running some where, I'm assuming it was to their temple and were running late, but I'm not sure. This shot is of the last one running towards us.
235518661-L-2.jpg

Calling out:
This is the first Monk we saw earlier in the morning.
235518875-L-2.jpg

Moat:
The Moat protecting Nijo Castle in Kyoto.
235518685-L-2.jpg

Moat 2:
Where the rain from the inside goes.
235518754-L-2.jpg

Lost?
I have no memory of taking this shot. Again, shot from the hip the original is HORRIBLY tilted, so I lost a lot of the street behind them in straightening. Another shot that just makes me smile.
235518787-L-2.jpg

Entrance:
The sun was out from behind the clouds for a brief moment and I was able to grab this shot. I have no idea what it says, but it was on both columns in front of the entrance to this building. It looked like a house to me, but I'm not sure.
235518815-L-2.jpg

Morning Commute:
My first shot of the day, a young mother on her way for the day. I wasn't able to get a shot of the one woman who had three children attached in various ways to her bike.
235518850-L-2.jpg

Apartments:
These balconies were on the side and it struck me how much like a pagoda the section of this otherwise flat building looked.
235518908-L-2.jpg
Travis

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I absolutely love the expression and movement you managed to capture on these people. All of my street shots are of people's backs because I don't have the cajones to have them see me point the camera at them!

Because of that I'm moving this to People. thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    some really nice shots, z-
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Schmoo - Thanks for moving it. If I could write a story to go with the pics I would have :D But, I'll just leave it to the images and the titles to tell the stories.

gefillmore - Thanks for lookin'
    Travis
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    Some nice shots. But you should really try to write something to go with
    these bad boys.

I like the apartment shot. I'm not sure why but on the whole, I have never
    found the front door to a Japanese apartment to be inviting. Always
    seemingly more functional. Not sure why that is.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 25, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Some nice shots. But you should really try to write something to go with
    these bad boys.

I like the apartment shot. I'm not sure why but on the whole, I have never
    found the front door to a Japanese apartment to be inviting. Always
    seemingly more functional. Not sure why that is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. A lot of what I saw there is about function and less form, although they take streamlining their designs to a whole new level. Maybe that is why I was left feeling a little off-kilter, because they seem to compensate for their extreme functionality of some things with elaborate packaging and design in other areas.

Z I really think you've found your niche in photography! The old woman, the monk, the lost couple... they are priceless. :D
    edited December 25, 2007
    All right, all right. I'll try and write a little something. I'm just better at talking than writing headscratch.gif (well, maybe not better, just more comfortable).
    Travis
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    nice photos!

i enjoyed viewing and reading your story! nice lighting too! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    nice work
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Call me ignorant, but can you tell me what you mean but "shot from the hip"? I'm trying to visualize that but it doesn't make sense to me. Unless you're using some kind of photography euphamism that I'm not aware of (which is entirely likely due to my newbie status), can you explain what that means?
    edited December 27, 2007
    Chrissiebeez_NL - Thanks! I'm still working on the writing thing... very big weak point for me.

riz_sat - Thanks!

javierplumey - Actually, it's exactly as it implies. I was holding my camera at about hip level and taking pictures without looking through the eye piece. Trying to be a little more discrete about pointing cameras in people's faces. Just trying to aim in the more or less correct direction and hoping the auto-focus nails the right thing rolleyes1.gif . 90% of these shots don't work out for me. But a few of them I'm able to go and crop in post to make a decent composition. And it's often worth it for the expressions you can get from people. At least IMHO.
    Travis
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Lovely photos!

Generally Buddhist monks walk around town requesting donations. They tend to love a very humble life.

I love your shot of the moat at Nijo, I love that castle.

As for that character, it's fairly simple, but I'm having troubles finding it in my Kanji dictionary, I'll dig around in there more later to see if I can get you a translation.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Cool series enjoyed it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 27, 2007
    I liked your images and your descriptions a great deal, Travis.

Very nice.thumb.gif

You must have lots more than this still left to display......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 27, 2007
    Shima - Thanks for looking that up! I appreciate it.

Awais - Thanks! I appreciate it.

Jim - Thanks for looking. These were the keepers from that day. I still have one more day in Kyoto to process and then 2 or 3 days worth from Tokyo to go through again.
    Travis
    edited December 27, 2007
    I have some writing tips for you. Courtesy of StrikingViking over on advrider.com Take a look here.

Some of the best advice I've read. Straight up great stuff.

If you feel like it, there are a number of great interviews in the thread
    that demonstrate different writing styles.

GFI thumb.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    I love the lost couple. They just look so clueless. I see people like that at work every day. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited December 27, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I have some writing tips for you. Courtesy of StrikingViking over on advrider.com Take a look here.

Some of the best advice I've read. Straight up great stuff.

If you feel like it, there are a number of great interviews in the thread
    that demonstrate different writing styles.

GFI thumb.gif

I like! I'm keeping a copy of this for myself. *yoink* :D
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    The lost couple looks like it was taken on the E side of the river, S of the downtown area. I thought the tiled place looked like the place I went for the Sento. It was so cool. I took the elevator naked from the changeroom to the bath floor.
    I really loved Kyoto.

Your pics are really great. I saw things like that but I didn't come back with such great street photos. Congrats!
    clap.gif
    edited December 28, 2007
    Ian - Thanks! I will definitely use those concepts next time.

JenW - Thanks for looking. And tell me about it with the people at work! rolleyes1.gif

Moni - Yeah, that's most likely where it was. We spent most of the day walking around east of the river. We never went to a bath house.
    Travis
    edited December 28, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Ian - Thanks! I will definitely use those concepts next time.
    I read through his interview. All I will say is if you have the time, it's
    fascinating and well worth the time. Baldy's is pretty dang good too.