Options

RSS feed problem

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
{JT} wrote:
You can actually change what size is downloaded by appending the this to the end of the URL of the feed:

&Size=Large

(or Small, Medium, XLarge, XLarge2, XLarge3)

Starting a new thread in this forum since this has more to do with programmability than the old thread where I was about to write the response to JT.

I have found some feeds where the &Size=XLarge is not enough and the feed still doesn't work until I restrict the available size in the gallery to XL. In looking at the feed, when I add the &Size=XLarge parameter, you change the guid and the enclosure URLs to the XL size, but you still list all the sizes in the media:group. Apparently the feed I'm trying is using the last item in the media:group with is the Original URL and it dies on a file that large.

I don't know enough about the RSS spec to know if this feed reader (it's a wireless memory frame) is just completely broken and you should ignore them or if this is something you should consider doing differently and avoid listing anything larger than the Size= parameter specifies even in the media:group.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows more about the RSS spec than I. It would see logical to me that the Size= parameter would be a directive to: "for the purposes of this feed, pretend that there are no sizes larger than the one specified in the parameter". That would suggest the sizes larger than the parameter should not be in the media:group section. Any other opinions?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Hi John wave.gif

Dev's your man, and he's having Christmas with his family in Australia... I sent him a link to this thread, he'll reply at some point, hang in there :)

Merry Christmas to the Friend Family!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John wave.gif

Dev's your man, and he's having Christmas with his family in Australia... I sent him a link to this thread, he'll reply at some point, hang in there :)

Merry Christmas to the Friend Family!

Thanks. No hurry as I have a work-around, but if I wasn't pretty techy I would have never gotten this photo frame to work with Smugmug because of this issue.

Merry Christmas to you and your family also!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Thanks. No hurry as I have a work-around, but if I wasn't pretty techy I would have never gotten this photo frame to work with Smugmug because of this issue.

Merry Christmas to you and your family also!

John,

Try adding &MediaRSS=0 to the feed url, that will disable the MediaRSS stuff in the feed, and I hopefully it will work properly off the enclosure.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    John,

Try adding &MediaRSS=0 to the feed url, that will disable the MediaRSS stuff in the feed, and I hopefully it will work properly off the enclosure.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, that does indeed suppress the media section which hides all references to the larger sizes. That should work for the frame.

It would be helpful to add that (and any other parameters you support that aren't yet documented) to the RSS wiki.
    --John
    HomepagePopular