Options

Unable to stay inside - Portage Ice 12/23/07

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited December 25, 2007 in Journeys
I seem to have an inability to stay inside...but that suits me just fine. :) I met with Joe after we arranged a climb through AMF and we left towards Portage for some ice climbing. He said he guessed that it would be a bit wet and probably not to great for climbing but I had hoped that it would be so we went. He was right but we still got some fun climbing in. We drove to the parking area and walked the 30 or so minutes to the base of Indecision.

The climb is located at the base of this peak
235615285-L.jpg

Indecision is located at the center right of this photo. It runs up almost to the top of the picture.
235615796-L.jpg

This is the first pitch of the climb. The first bottom portion didn't seem so bad but the upper portion looked very wet and like it would collapse if we walked on it.
235616416-L.jpg

View behind a small waterfall section.
235616589-L.jpg

We walked around the right of the climb and climbed up a smaller waterfall which was somewhat wet but not bad. The top portion however had a small waterfall going down it and was a fun portion of mixed climbing. Here Joe climbs while trying to stay dry.
235616984-L.jpg

"Darn Right." says Joe.
235617352-L.jpg

Joe is also a photographer so it was nice of him to shoot some pictures of me. Thanks! I belayed him up the climb from this alder.
235617778-L.jpg

For some odd reason we decided to walk around off this climb instead of rapell. It was fun enough though and I had fun stomping through the snow.
235618275-L.jpg

After the climb we headed back to get our bags. When we first walked onto this portion of the river we heard a loud crack that lasted for a good 15 seconds. Joe declares the ice safe.
235618664-L.jpg

Here is the fall that we climbed. We climbed the right hand corner of this waterfall.
235619027-L.jpg

Here is another picture of Indecision. You can see the upper pitches of the climb in the photo as well.
235619503-L.jpg

We decided to pack it up after the short climb and head back climbing a bit on the highway if we so felt like it. We found his friend Brian climbing at Candyland so we stopped and had a few fun climbs as well!
This is Brian being belayed by his brother at Candyland.
235619889-L.jpg

Joe took this photo of me throwing ice chunks at the camera.
235620239-L.jpg

We hooked up the rope for a fun little mixed climbing section. Mixed climbing means using the rock and ice with your ice tools for anyone wondering.
235614987-L.jpg

We finished our climbs at the end of the daylight. A good day of climbing and lots of fun!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    Nice. I'm always impressed by the cracks ice makes :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    KayguarnayKayguarnay Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Heart melts... these are wonderful pictures! Thank you for reminding me how much I miss iceclimbing. I wish it was cold enough here to make something that would take an ice axe!

Looks like a beautiful day!
    Post more ice, please!
    "Always dream of the impossible, then try!" - Geoff Tabin

I'm just learning, teach me!
    C&C always appreciated.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    Amazing!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Kayguarnay wrote:
    Heart melts... these are wonderful pictures! Thank you for reminding me how much I miss iceclimbing. I wish it was cold enough here to make something that would take an ice axe!

Looks like a beautiful day!
    Post more ice, please!

Glad I can bring you back some memories of ice! Ive really enjoyed my ice climbing this year but unfortunatly this is going to be my last ice climbing post for quite some time. :) In 2 days time I'll be on a plane headed for Central and South America!
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    In 2 days time I'll be on a plane headed for Central and South America!
    Have we mentioned how much we hate you lately rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Have we mentioned how much we hate you lately rolleyes1.gif

Heh this should be an intersting trip too. Its the first time I bought a one-way ticket to foreign country. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Heh this should be an intersting trip too. Its the first time I bought a one-way ticket to foreign country. ;)
    If you can find the ex, she will be swimming with the sharks, she might see
    you home. She's there the month of January :D

On a serious note, if you fly in without a return ticket, what sorts of crap are
    you likely to get?