Options

got a new LCD, got a new problem!!!

zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited December 26, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
ok, I got my wife and myself Acer 20W LCD's for xmas, i hooked mine up, no problems.. you have to change the monitors reso size to 1680 x 1050 which in my comp was no problem, the problem (and it figures) is with my wifes comp... there is no 1680 x 1050 choice... it just goes to 1280 x 1024... so the screen is a bit distorted.. and i cant figure it out.. i down loaded the newest driver from the Acer site but it didnt help.. both comps are XP also.
so, is this something i can fix with a download or do i need a new computer now? lol

thanks!!
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    It's possible, though unlikely, that her video card can't handle the higher resolution. Make sure that you have the most recent video driver for her computer (not from ACER, but from HP/Dell/whoever). If you do, she likely has rather old and lousy onboard video.

IF that's the case, and a new driver isn't available to get better resolution, you just need to buy her a new video card. You could get a really really cheap one somewhere that will output correctly to that monitor. I may have one around here somewhere - if you end up going that route let me know and I'll look.
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    you may need to get a new video card for the computer, the one you have in it may not be able to display a higher resolution.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    thanks guys... i was afraif that..lol

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    If you post the specs of the video via the control pane.. We can tell you for a fact whether this is the problem or not. Most likely we'll also be able to tell you what kind of video card to get. i.e. PCI slot or others..
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    I think the issue may not be the actual resolution, but the aspect ratio. The 1680x1050 is 16:10, standard wide screen for monitors. 1280 would be 1280 x800 @ 16:10. If the video card can't do that, try the 'old' 4:3 ratio, which is the TV & monitor ratio most of us are used to. For 1280 that would 960.

If only 4:3 is available, then you will get solid grey (or black or whatever) bands on the sides of the image. Sort of the reverse of the letterbox bands you see on a 'square' (ie 4:3) tv showing a wide screen movie.

I agree with the others, however. This is a temporary fix. See if the video card has an updated driver. It may for higher resolutions, but I doubt it will for a full high res, 16:10 aspect. Otherwise, how would they motivate you to buy a new card. rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    lol..... i will have a look at the specs tonight but im thinking a new card is in my future... i just hope i can change it.. i heard somplace once that the "pre manufactured" machines had all the sound and video stuff built into the motherbored so you cant change it out without changing the motherboard!! ne_nau.gif

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    zacker wrote:
    lol..... i will have a look at the specs tonight but im thinking a new card is in my future... i just hope i can change it.. i heard somplace once that the "pre manufactured" machines had all the sound and video stuff built into the motherbored so you cant change it out without changing the motherboard!! ne_nau.gif

Not true. It is true that your video card (and sound card) are likely integrated on the motherboard, but it's not true that you'd have to replace the MB in that case. Your computer has several PCI and possibly one AGP slot (doubtful it's PCI-E in your case) for upgrading sound and video (among other things).
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Not true. It is true that your video card (and sound card) are likely integrated on the motherboard, but it's not true that you'd have to replace the MB in that case. Your computer has several PCI and possibly one AGP slot (doubtful it's PCI-E in your case) for upgrading sound and video (among other things).

thank god!!!! lol I am not in the market for a new machine right now..lol

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    What kind of PC do you have? Is it a mid tower case, which is what most of us think of as a classic boxy PC? About 8"wide x 12-15"tall x18-20" deep? If so, Pupator is right on the available slots vs the embedded board.

However if you have one of those 'low profile' desktops (like the Dell small form factor or ultra small form factor), you may be limited to PCI-E slots. Of course I had one, needed Firewire 400, could only find one that had a mid-tower case plate, got my hacksaw out.....
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    classic and boxy...lol older HP pavillion from 2000 - 2001..

ill have to crack it open to see whats doing inside ..
    hopefully i can just add the card and be good to go.