D200 AF problem

AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited December 27, 2007 in Cameras
The AF on my new D200 will not lock on for a sharp photo.

AF focus point to center. Single point focus

Did a total reset of the cameras menus back to factory default to eliminate any and all custom settings. Tried both single and continuous modes and 4 different Nikon AF lenses.

right now I have pulled the battery and will let that sit overnight with the hopes that it will reset itself.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    Well, which lens is the AF failing with? Got another lens to see if it's a problem with the lens or the bod?

Also, can you share PICs that you took and show this problem? And we need the EXIF data in the PIC... Orig is good.

Let us know...
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 25, 2007
    Yo Augie, so it's xmas dinner time, meaning it's dark, and I know it's snowy out over there, so it's a safe bet you're probably inside... point is: don't know what lenses you have, but only the best brightest lenses will focus well in poor crappy indoor light.

lenses need good contrast to focus well.

definitely post a photo if you can, the scene you're trying to focus on will help us.

I am a bit worried that all 4 lenses are doing the same thing for you. Which ones you got?

Oh, and merry xmas wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    Here's an excellent article on the D200's AF system.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yo Augie, so it's xmas dinner time, meaning it's dark, and I know it's snowy out over there, so it's a safe bet you're probably inside... point is: don't know what lenses you have, but only the best brightest lenses will focus well in poor crappy indoor light.

lenses need good contrast to focus well.

definitely post a photo if you can, the scene you're trying to focus on will help us.

I am a bit worried that all 4 lenses are doing the same thing for you. Which ones you got?

Oh, and merry xmas wave.gif

Thanks Eric

Lenses tried

16-70 DX ED
    105 F2.8
    35-70 F4.5 4.5
    70-300 F 3.5-4.5

I was doing some indoor portrait work for the in-laws family and it was OK.

Went over to a nephews house for some Xmas family type shots and that is where it started to screw up. I was trying for the kids playing in the snow type of shots and that is where it started to screw up. So I put it away. I could see in the view finder that the images were not sharp and clear.

At that point I came home and started with the book and see if I buggered some thing in a setting. I also changed focus points to top. left side, right side, bottom and various matrix types. All have the same result, The AF drives but when it stops it is out of focus. This the case no matter the conditions of image contrast.

Harry B thanks for the Nikononians.org link thumb.gif

I will call the store and send it back and upgrade to a D300
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Augie wrote:
    Went over to a nephews house for some Xmas family type shots and that is where it started to screw up. I was trying for the kids playing in the snow type of shots and that is where it started to screw up. So I put it away. I could see in the view finder that the images were not sharp and clear.

I will call the store and send it back and upgrade to a D300
    Augie,

I'm a Canon user so what I say here may not apply. But, on Canon, we have a thumb dial that will adjust the viewfinder for dioptic adjustment - to compensate for those of use that wear glasses but would like to shoot without the glasses between us and the viewfinder. I OFTEN bump this when moving from one location to another and the view is then OOF.

Does you Nikon have such an adjustment? Have you viewed any of the "OOF" focus on something other than the camera LCD to determine that they are, in fact, OOF? I think, until you do this, calling the store may be a bit premature.

Just my $.02. Sure hope you get this worked out!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    Scott makes an excellent point here. It is not the image that you see through the viewfinder that AF focuses, but the image on the sensor. The viewfinder is focused by a small wheel or adjustment device nearby, like focusing a binocular.

To check for AF in your images, the files need to be looked at carefully on a computer monitor. You have not said that you have done this that I can see. Nor have you said that you did not do this either though.

I never really critically evaluate focus anywhere else than a computer monitor or a print.

From your description that the AF moves the lens focusing mechanism, but it never gets sharp, I am not sure if this is truly AF malfunction, or a lack of focus in the viewfinder itself. I know when my viewfinder gets knocked out of adjustment it takes me a second to recognize that it is not the AF mechanism, but the viewfinder itself that is the issue.

If none of your files are sharp, even at smaller apertures with different lenses, then you have a major malfunction and the camera gets returned.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Scott makes an excellent point here.
    Thanks!
    pathfinder wrote:
    I know when my viewfinder gets knocked out of adjustment it takes me a second to recognize that it is not the AF mechanism, but the viewfinder itself that is the issue.
    This first time this happened to me, it took me forever to figure out what had happened. I thought I had somehow damaged my camera 'cause it was happening with all my lenses.

Now that I've seen it once or twice, like PF, it only takes me a second or two to recognize what is going on and fix it.
    edited December 26, 2007
    Augie,

I'm a Canon user so what I say here may not apply. But, on Canon, we have a thumb dial that will adjust the viewfinder for dioptic adjustment - to compensate for those of use that wear glasses but would like to shoot without the glasses between us and the viewfinder. I OFTEN bump this when moving from one location to another and the view is then OOF.

Does you Nikon have such an adjustment? Have you viewed any of the "OOF" focus on something other than the camera LCD to determine that they are, in fact, OOF? I think, until you do this, calling the store may be a bit premature.

Just my $.02. Sure hope you get this worked out!

Good Idea
    Yes the D200 has a diopter adjustment. and that was one thing I did not check, So I cracked open the box ( I had it packed up and ready to ship) set it back up ( install battery CF card and lens) all seemed OK with it. The first 10 test shots were good, After that things began to go down hill rapidly WRT the focus. The body fell back to a non focusing unit.

It goes back to the store and I get a D300.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    Augie wrote:
    It goes back to the store and I get a D300.
    Oh darn! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 26, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh darn! lol3.gif

Yeah, Yeah I know it sucks to be me, but I do what I must.

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks on Xmas shopping. I guess that will learn me to be frugal. rolleyes1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    While the Nikon D200 is still a pretty respectable camera, I bet you "L.O.V.E." the D300. thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 27, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While the Nikon D200 is still a pretty respectable camera, I bet you "L.O.V.E." the D300. thumb.gifthumb

when it comes in :D yeah I probobly will like it.deal.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Augie wrote:
    Yeah, Yeah I know it sucks to be me, but I do what I must.

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks on Xmas shopping. I guess that will learn me to be frugal. rolleyes1.gif

Yeah that certainly sounds like a downer right there. returning your D200 for a D300. eek7.gifwings.gif

well if the D300 doesn't work out for you ... you can always send it to me! thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com