question re managing photos in lightroom

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited December 26, 2007 in Finishing School
i am traveling and my hard drive is full, my external hard drive began to bite the dust christmas so i have a question. i use flags and delete my rejected photos. i would like to somehow "move" my unflagged photos from my hard drive and "Store" them on DVDs. i would like to keep my Flagged photos on my hard drive. i figure whenever i stop traveling and get a big enough hard drive i could copy the photos from the dvds onto the new hard drives. is there an easy way to accomplish this? how would you do this. i haven't been able to figure out a way that isn't very very labor intensive. maybe i should just review the unflagged ones again and just delete them. we are talking about 10,000 plus photos.

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Just find the unflagged images in the grid view. You have a little indicator down on the right side, just near the film strip where you can filter picks, not picked, etc.

Once you have the images you want in a group, select all, export to the drive. Or just use the Folder view and move them (the other folder however will have to be part of the library and you probably don't want that). Now you can delete them in LR and they will be removed from the Library (or you can delete those images from the drive to free up space). Once you have the images in grid view, you could also do an Export Catalog. Then those images would be moved AND still part of the library you now build if you want to look at them as you did in LR. Export Library would allow you to move those images currently viewed as a new library. Then delete them from the existing one to free up space. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Thanks
    thanks for the advice. i figured there was a way to do it but i wasn't quite sure. i will be spending today applying what you suggested, i really don't like having my photos on one media source, especially DVDs.

cheers,

Dave
    arodney wrote:
    Just find the unflagged images in the grid view. You have a little indicator down on the right side, just near the film strip where you can filter picks, not picked, etc.

Once you have the images you want in a group, select all, export to the drive. Or just use the Folder view and move them (the other folder however will have to be part of the library and you probably don't want that). Now you can delete them in LR and they will be removed from the Library (or you can delete those images from the drive to free up space). Once you have the images in grid view, you could also do an Export Catalog. Then those images would be moved AND still part of the library you now build if you want to look at them as you did in LR. Export Library would allow you to move those images currently viewed as a new library. Then delete them from the existing one to free up space. Lots of ways to skin this cat.