How do you keep thumbs out of CS3 Open File dialog?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
edited December 26, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm having a minor annoyance with CS3. By default, the view of the open file dialog box is set to show thumbs. When I change the view to list or detail, the change does not persist, even when I don't close the program. The next time I open a file, the box has reverted to the thumbs view. In CS2, the view did not change. I prefer the list view when I am working on a bunch of pics because I have to scroll less.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am running XP, and I have installed the Microsoft power toy that gives you thumbs of raw files in Explorer. I don't know whether the toy is responsible or whether it is an Adobe issue. Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Hm, I don't have this issue, but I'm on a Mac naughty.gif

Have got a button, mine is lower left, to "use OS dialong" or "use Adobe dialog" ? What happens if you mess around with that and then try it all again. Do your settings stick?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hm, I don't have this issue, but I'm on a Mac naughty.gif

Have got a button, mine is lower left, to "use OS dialong" or "use Adobe dialog" ? What happens if you mess around with that and then try it all again. Do your settings stick?

There is no button. CS2 had one, and IIRC I used to use the OS version. If there is a preferece setting somewhere, it must be cleverly concealed. headscratch.gif

Here's what I see:

236070023-M.jpg
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    I think it must using whatever your windows directory setting is set to. Open windows explorer and select the directory that you want to set and use that to set it to view details. If you want all of your directories to view this way then choose Tools->folder options... and then "View" tab and then select the "Apply to all folders" button. I hope this works for you!!
    -Kevin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    There is no button. CS2 had one, and IIRC I used to use the OS version. If there is a preferece setting somewhere, it must be cleverly concealed. headscratch.gif

Here's what I see:

236070023-M.jpg

That is a Windows dialogue box, Richard. I think the setting is in your Windows Explorer settings somewhere, and not in CS3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is a Windows dialogue box, Richard. I think the setting is in your Windows Explorer settings somewhere, and not in CS3.

Thanks, Kevin and Jim. I'm getting warmer, but still not quite there. I learned on the Adobe forum that the button to choose between the Adobe and OS open dialog only appears if Version Cue is enabled. Clever concealment, as I suspected. rolleyes1.gif I had it disabled, since I don't use it.

I had already made sure that the XP folder settings were on the list view, so something is mucking with the OS file dialog. It may be the Power Toy, though it doesn't have that effect in Explorer itself.

The Adobe dialog does not have a list view, which I prefer because it is the most compact, meaning that more files fit in the same space. It does have a detail view, which is an improvement over the thumbs view that I was getting, and it seems to be persistent.

If I don't get any other helpful advice today, I'll probably try to uninstall the power toy and see if that changes anything. It may also just be an XP thing, as my previous experience was in Win2K. ne_nau.gif