LPS 19 - C&C Needed

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited December 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
What does everyone think about this picture?
236124980-L.jpg

The idea was, obviously, a suicide... I thought about doing a sequence; one showing my model completely sorrow-filled, the next with drugs in her hand, and this as the last one... But, I thought this image alone really spoke to the theme.... Thoughts or actions.. Suicide...

Any C&C will be greatly appreciated!

David

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    with the hand placements it looks like they are reaching for more....
    idea? have the model lay on her back, have her hand proped up a little so her hand hangs lifelesslyne_nau.gif
    eitherway its a pretty dark idea.
    Aaron Nelson
  • BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    personally - i like the picture - it conveys what you wanted i believe - but maybe placing a picture in the table with the subdued lighting - or even that with a subdued spotlight on it to focus on the other part of the decision might convey a little sronger - but i really like the shot.
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Thanks for the comments! I submitted it; I figure I have time to change it if I come up with something else/better, but, I kinda like it too :)

David
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Hi DrDavid!

I do like the composition, the blue monotone works well, and overall think it has potential. But this concept has been done many times in LPS, several very powerful and unique images. I don't think it's a bad idea to enter, but I bet you can come up with a better exposure (highlights not blown and shadows not plugged) to compete from a technical standpoint. I also think a good title can make or break a conceptual image like this, that could be seen by some as overdone. What can you do to make someone really think about the sadness or despair that a person committing suicide feels? I wonder if shooting from a lower perspective, so our eyes are parallel with the pills and the lettering of the bottle could work. Experiment! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hi DrDavid!

I do like the composition, the blue monotone works well, and overall think it has potential. But this concept has been done many times in LPS, several very powerful and unique images. I don't think it's a bad idea to enter, but I bet you can come up with a better exposure (highlights not blown and shadows not plugged) to compete from a technical standpoint. I also think a good title can make or break a conceptual image like this, that could be seen by some as overdone. What can you do to make someone really think about the sadness or despair that a person committing suicide feels? I wonder if shooting from a lower perspective, so our eyes are parallel with the pills and the lettering of the bottle could work. Experiment! thumb.gif
    Definately some good ideas. I'm going to play with some of the other images I shot to see if I can't improve.

I know, the bottle lighting is, on one hand, really neat - it looks like the bottle itself it throwing out the light; kinda a religious undertone if you are into that sort of thing. But, on the other hand, it is brighter than I would have liked in a perfect world.

David