DuPont State Forest in North Carolina

kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited December 30, 2007 in Landscapes
The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">DuPont</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> has an interesting history to become accessible for the public to enjoy the beautiful scenery as of October 2000. Three of the four main falls on the Little River shown here were all featured in the film “The Last of the Mohicans”.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
As a side note, the drought conditions here in NC have left the watershed less than spectacular. Several of the falls I went to photograph were only mere trickles. Hopefully my next visit will include the fourth and more flow. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Starting from the top and working down river.

1. High Falls<o:p></o:p>

DSC_4201_edited-1.jpg

2. Bottom of High Falls
DSC_4208_edited-1.jpg

3. Triple Falls
DSC_4137_edited-2.jpg

4. Bottom of Triple Falls
DSC_4173_edited-1-1.jpg

5. Hooker Falls
DSC_4071_edited-1-1.jpg

6. Top of Hooker Falls
DSC_4021_edited-2.jpg

Thread is an add-on to the last one I started called Transylvania County North Carolina. Jjust in case you missed that one feel free to check it out also. lol<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for looking.
I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    clap.gif
    wow, wow, wow
    Aaron Nelson
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Many thanks AaronNelson and Angelo.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Beautiful photos weldone
    thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Very nice shots. They could use to be lightened up just a bit.....then again it could just be my monitor.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Very Nice!
    One of my favorite places in NC. Love #3!

RLJ

http://rljphotography.smugmug.com/
    edited December 27, 2007
    Awais, cwphotos and Beeze thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

cwphotos: I'm planning to get CS3 in the next few months. There were many on this trip that can use some lightning. Perhaps when my PP skills develop more, I can share a few of those. I highly doubt it's your monitor.

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Very nice waterfall shots! CS3 will be an exciting step. What are you using now? I agree these could be a touch brighter but I think setting a true white point would be an easy fix for both brightening and removing the yellowish color cast. Great photos, regardless! :D
    edited December 29, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Very nice waterfall shots! CS3 will be an exciting step. What are you using now? I agree these could be a touch brighter but I think setting a true white point would be an easy fix for both brightening and removing the yellowish color cast. Great photos, regardless! :D

Thanks for the link schmoo.

At the moment I am using an old *cough* copy *cough* of CS. I had played with Elements before, but I had to learn everything I know by Google, forums like this and bugging the anonymous individual that provided said copy.

I had a go with one of the images with the tute you gave. I didn't nail it because I think too much was lost in the water detail, particularly on the second falls. But it seems to be much better. I'll keep at it, but I was so chuffed with the result at this point, I thought it was only proper to share.

Curves-Layer-Test.jpg

What do you think? Any better?

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    kundalini wrote:
    I had a go with one of the images with the tute you gave. I didn't nail it because I think too much was lost in the water detail, particularly on the second falls. But it seems to be much better. I'll keep at it, but I was so chuffed with the result at this point, I thought it was only proper to share.

What do you think? Any better?
    Lots! Excellent! thumb.gif

I also have a lot of trouble with highlights on ovecast days. If you're shooting in RAW you have a better chance of recovering detail in them, which is where masking comes in hand.

But don't stress - there's a million ways to skin that cat and PS is one very big, complex cat. lol3.gif