Shay

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited December 27, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so I've kept quiet on this one for a long time, but now feel the urge to say something. I miss Shay. It has now been a month (I believe) since his last post and this forum contains so many great people, but it's just not the same without him.

To my knowledge we've had no explanation as to why things have changed so drastically. I am grateful for this forum as it has caused me to grow tremendously, but it was his diligence and perspective that made it complete and totally irresistable. Who of us did not wait up until midnight (on the east coast anyway) waiting for the new theme, for the close of each round, and especially the following night...constantly clicking the refresh button just waiting for those results that we knew would show up any second without fail? It was an "edge of your seat" kind of thing for sure! And then his feedback was always a learning experience in itself. (And I FULLY appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to give input or feedback.)

I am assuming that whatever the reason for his absence, that it is, of course, personal. I am not complaining, I am just saddened and wanted to publicly send good thoughts and wishes his way...and hoping that someday LPS returns to its former, fully fascinating, uniqueness.

Emily
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 26, 2007
    I've mentioned it in at least one thread over the past couple weeks, but yes, Shay is indeed on some personal time. He's recently made a big (geographic) move and from what I heard, came down with a nastly flu as well.

I'm sure your well wishes will find their target, thanks. nod.gif

In the meantime, I may not be the artistic driving force, but things are continuing as normal. I don't have the judging speed that Shay did, but LPS is designed so that is not essential to the workings of the rounds (see, we planned ahead).

On a closing thought, maybe Shay is hiding on purpose... he's always said all along that LPS was meant to teach you something. Perhaps this is his way, in these last few rounds, of seeing how you all handle the pressure on your own.
    deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    So well stated Emily. I have had all those same thoughts and wondered if there was anything we should do or if we could make sure that he is alright.

I certainly miss his continuity and unique way in getting our motors running for yet another challenge.

I to feel I have grown so much and even ventured out of my comfort zone a few times to try and stretch my skills.

I am saddened by his absence to and hope we hear something soon.

Peace, gail
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Thanks Erik.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    I too miss Shay immensely, his little tid bits of information and gentle reminders as well as his down to earth and very enlightening critiques of not only the winning entries but each and every one of the entries.

The last information that we officially received about Shay is that he is/was sick, he also mentioned to several people including myself that he was in the middle of moving to California. I suspect that he still may be in the growing pains of the move and possibly still recovering from whatever illness hit him.

I hope that he still is not sick and I doubly hope that his move is or has been a successful one, because I would love to have him back, once again bringing his spice and insights into this really fun and challenging contest.

Oh and a Big Thanks to Erik for keeping us going through his absence!!!!!
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    In the meantime, I may not be the artistic driving force, but things are continuing as normal. I don't have the judging speed that Shay did, but LPS is designed so that is not essential to the workings of the rounds (see, we planned ahead).

you actually get to see the future, don't you? since you are 15 hours ahead of us? :D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    you actually get to see the future, don't you? since you are 15 hours ahead of us? :D
    I live 6 klms east of doc...its a 'need to know' basis thus doc only see's what ive vetted 2.8 seconds prior.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    I saw Shay impersonating Alfred Hitchcock at the smugmug party on December 7:

229981086-L.jpg

For him it was a working party; he spent it taking pictures of the guests in costume. At the time he mentioned the move to California and, while he was optomistic about the potential for weddings in his new location, clearly along with the the move, the flu, and the holidays, he must be busy rebuilding his photography business in his new location. I can only imaging how daunting it must be to start fresh in a new place.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Well said, everyone. I, too, miss the ol' Shaymeister and hope all is well.

Jesse