Please someone, help with filenames?

babybottombabybottom Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited December 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am having a problem with naming my files before I upload them. I want the files I upload to a gallery to be in a certain order. When I upload them to a gallery, they are all out of order, and if I go to customize gallery, and tell it to sort my photos by filename (i have them named 1,2,3,4,5, etc.,), they are still out of order.

I need help naming my files, so that when I upload them to a gallery, they are sorted in order. If I have sort by filename marked in customize gallery, , naming them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, etc., they are still out of order. If I mark sort by position on customize gallery, they are still out of order, and if I go to arrange photos (expert), having costomize gallery sort by position marked, and name each position the same as the file name ex. 1,2,3 through 1000, it still changes them, putting for example filename 891 to after 89, (position 90).

After uploading, I am wasting so much time trying to put the photos in order. I want the filename number to be the same as the position number. Is this possible? If so, how, because I am doing something wrong, apparently.

The reason I want the filename to be the same as the position, is if someone is telling me about a certain photo, I am not certain if they are talking about the position number, or the file number, and it becomes confusing.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
www.photographybyoneil.com

diane

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    babybottom wrote:
    I am having a problem with naming my files before I upload them. I want the files I upload to a gallery to be in a certain order. When I upload them to a gallery, they are all out of order, and if I go to customize gallery, and tell it to sort my photos by filename (i have them named 1,2,3,4,5, etc.,), they are still out of order.

I need help naming my files, so that when I upload them to a gallery, they are sorted in order. If I have sort by filename marked in customize gallery, , naming them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, etc., they are still out of order. If I mark sort by position on customize gallery, they are still out of order, and if I go to arrange photos (expert), having costomize gallery sort by position marked, and name each position the same as the file name ex. 1,2,3 through 1000, it still changes them, putting for example filename 891 to after 89, (position 90).

After uploading, I am wasting so much time trying to put the photos in order. I want the filename number to be the same as the position number. Is this possible? If so, how, because I am doing something wrong, apparently.

The reason I want the filename to be the same as the position, is if someone is telling me about a certain photo, I am not certain if they are talking about the position number, or the file number, and it becomes confusing.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    www.photographybyoneil.com

diane
    You have to pad the file names with 0's so it sorts correctly.

Photo_0001
    Photo_0002
    Photo_0010
    Photo_0011
    Photo_0020
    Photo_0089
    Photo_0099
    Photo_0100
    Photo_0891
    Photo_1000

or more underlines

Photo____1