Options

New assignment - book signing/cocktail party

seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Technique
So I have a (potential) client who has asked me to shoot a book signing (she is an author among other things). The format is going to be a cocktail party, and though I am not too concerned with the technical side of things I am a bit concerned about the etiquette of shooting such an event.

Is it acceptable to use flash at such an event? I suspect the lighting is going to suck due to the time of day (evening) and format (cocktail party). I plan on getting an advance look at the location to see whether I can get away with bounce flash from an on-camera strobe.

Also, although pics of her actually signing some books is an obvious given, what other types of candids might I be looking for above and beyond the typical "man speaking with woman", "waiter pouring glass of wine", "crowd of people laughing", etc? :)

Anyone with experience at this type of event?

Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Hey Brian,

It's a shame that you didn't get any advise from anyone that has actual experience.
    I figure I'd give my .02 on this and what I'd do. I'm always cautious about being courteous so I figure we may have a like mind to a certain extent.

At this point whether you are or aren't. You're going to be the pro photog at this event and it's a publicity event. I think it's more than appropriate to use flash. It may actually help out to get people frenzied up when they see a pro working. It will also generate interest even to people that may not normally show interest. You always draw a crowd when your shooting w/ strobes in a semi dark environment. They want to see what's going on (and secretly want their picture to be taken as well).

This also sounds like a fantastic opportunity to network. If you're trying to do this professionally (or already are). Make sure you have tons of business cards. Hand them out like candy. Joke w/ the ppl, have fun, make them want to see you again. But this time taking their pictures instead.

Just some thoughts. I hope your event turns out no matter what you do.

All the best,
    -Jon
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 31, 2007
    What Jon said - flash rules for this situation, unless the author or the owner of the store absolutely refuses to allow it, even after having the need for it carefully explained to them.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin