Options

Sb-600

JBOJBO Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 1, 2008 in Technique
Hello!

I just got a new flash for my D80. I am now in the process of learning how to use it. I was wondering if there was a way to measure distance when using my flash. Can the camera do it or do I have to guesstimate it.

Thanks

Josh

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    JBO wrote:
    Hello!

I just got a new flash for my D80. I am now in the process of learning how to use it. I was wondering if there was a way to measure distance when using my flash. Can the camera do it or do I have to guesstimate it.

Thanks

Josh
    Hey Josh,

Welcome to dgrin!wave.gif

I'd like to back up and ask what do you want to walk away w/ knowing if this thread is answered to your satisfaction. I don't really understand why you would need to now distance.

If you only want to know distance though. Your lens will tell you that during auto focus. Just get an AF lock on your subject and look down at the distance on your lens. (all those little numbers on the lens do cool things!)

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Flash does it for you
    Josh -

The nice thing about the flashes and the digital cameras these days is that they talk to each other. So unless you want to play (and playing is good!) - most of the time your flash will be right with its reading from the lens.

I started with the same setup as you D80 and SB600 and it worked well.

For playing you put the flash in manual mode and then you can zoom it yourself....

Enjoy :ivar

Cheers