Options

Any shooters from North Carolina?

kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
I live near Raleigh at the moment and was wondering if anybody is nearby.

I'm planning to move to the Asheville area in the spring 2008, so are there any connections there?
I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill

Comments

• Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    well, I don't live in ashville, but I'm in Johnson City, TN which is about an hour or two away, and I love to go down the Blue Ridge Parkway for photos etc.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    kris10kris10 Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I'm on the coast of North Carolina. Right around the quaint small town of Swansboro. I'm actually off to Mt. Airy NC in the foothills of the mountains this weekend. Andy Griffith land. We hope to make a trip up around the Blue Ridge tomorrow. I'll try to get some pictures and post them. Beautiful scenery up there. thumb.gif
    * My Mug *

~ * ~ Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young ~ * ~
  • Options
    BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I live in Winston Salem!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • Options
    kris10kris10 Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    I live in Winston Salem!

Too cool. That's where I moved here from. I grew up in W-S but got tired of the city. It's much quieter here with a much slower easy going way of life. Nice to meet someone though from the town I lived most of my life in. :D
    * My Mug *

~ * ~ Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young ~ * ~
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    kris10 wrote:
    I'm on the coast of North Carolina. Right around the quaint small town of Swansboro. I'm actually off to Mt. Airy NC in the foothills of the mountains this weekend. Andy Griffith land. We hope to make a trip up around the Blue Ridge tomorrow. I'll try to get some pictures and post them. Beautiful scenery up there. thumb.gif

I lived in Atlantic Beach for a couple of years. It was definitely one of my favorite places to live and some of my best friends are still there. The semi-official kickoff to summer was the Swansboro Rotary Club KMT. I absolutely love the area. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I am in Wilmington. We moved here from Washington State last July.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • Options
    joeybjoeyb Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2008
    I live in Raleigh now & I'm considering moving to Asheville later this year or next.

I'd love to meet some other folks in the area that are interested in photography (esp. newbies like me!).
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    It looks like I may be living in Raleigh this summer. Anybody know a nice place where I can get a 3 month lease (commuting from Williamsburg would be suicide lol).
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Raleigh here too. Marlinspike, been a long time since I leased or rented, but Raleigh is such a boomtown, there are tons of apts, going up all over. Depending on your needs, a good option is to try near NC State, since summer leases are plentiful.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Raleigh here too. Marlinspike, been a long time since I leased or rented, but Raleigh is such a boomtown, there are tons of apts, going up all over. Depending on your needs, a good option is to try near NC State, since summer leases are plentiful.

I live in Charlotte now, but at the end of the month we're moving to the Tryon/Flat Rock area - so we'll be pretty close to Asheville.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,837 moderator
    edited April 3, 2008
    It looks like I'll be attending a wedding in Charlotte in early-mid May. Any "must see" places, photographically speaking or otherwise?

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It looks like I'll be attending a wedding in Charlotte in early-mid May. Any "must see" places, photographically speaking or otherwise?

Thanks,

For something less than a HUGE city, Charlotte really does have a nice skyline. There are also some pretty neat places downtown (which we call uptown) to shoot - urban meets park/greenspace sort stuff. Other than that (skyline and architecture) there really aren't any "must see" places. The US whitewater center is fun if you want some action kayak shots and there are plenty of sporting events (minor league baseball, NASCAR) if that's your thing.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    For something less than a HUGE city, Charlotte really does have a nice skyline. There are also some pretty neat places downtown (which we call uptown) to shoot - urban meets park/greenspace sort stuff. Other than that (skyline and architecture) there really aren't any "must see" places. The US whitewater center is fun if you want some action kayak shots and there are plenty of sporting events (minor league baseball, NASCAR) if that's your thing.

Thanks.

I'm seeing a fair amount of photos taken around the "Freedom Park" and museums in the area, as well as "Independance Park", the "Raptor Center" and "Hearst Tower".

Any tips on those areas?

Thanks again,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Hearst tower is in the middle of uptown, you can't miss it.

Freedom park is a fun place to wander around but there's nothing really spectacular to take shots of. You'll see some birds and ducks floating around the pond - not much else.

The raptor center is about 15-20 minutes north of uptown. Hawks, eagles, etc. but all in very small cages. I went a few months ago but forgot to take a memory card. :( You could get some really up-close shots of the birds, but you'd need serious bokeh to hide the background. It only costs a few bucks, so if you've got a spare 1-2 hours it's not a bad choice.

Independence park is like Freedom park and the 10,000 other city parks we have around here. Not much to shoot.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Great information! clap.gif

Thanks,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    I'm in the middle of the state. Thomasville is close to High Point/Greensboro/Winston-Salem. I love living here because I can be at the coast or in the mountains in just a few hours. I've got friends who live in several areas of the state so there's always a good reason to travel. Enjoy Asheville. It's a really cool area, especially if you like getting out in nature.
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • Options
    Joe MJoe M Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Nice thread.

I'm in the Holly Springs area south of Raleigh. I hope to get to the coast around New Bern and Oriental in the next month or so to take some photos.
    NC Retouched SmugMug Gallery

"Still of hand will never make up for emptiness of heart." -Rodney Smith
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    kundalini wrote:

I'm planning to move to the Asheville area in the spring 2008, so are there any connections there?

I'm a little over 30 mins south of Asheville. I'm up there all the time though.
    PM me if you wanna talk about the area.
  • Options
    BreezyBreezy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2008
    I am in Montgomery Co NC until we get to Norfolk VA.
  • Options
    CkimagesCkimages Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2008
    I'm in North Carolina!
    Hi!

My name is Crystal and after I graduated ECU with a photo degree, I decided to start my own business here in Greenville, NC. My focus is Fine Art, including body painting, underwater photos, erotica, boudoir, and any crazy idea you can think of.

Currently I am looking for a female model with a toned body to do some body painting for my portfolio. It would be nude, but the photos would be tasteful Fine Art. I would pay you by giving you a cd of the finished photos. If interested PLEASE E-mail me!

I want to start an art revolution in Greenville!

I also specialize in portraits of all types, senior photos, families, pets (I LOVE pets and have done work for the humane society), modeling, bridal, engagement, and I will also do weddings!

I am a photoshop expert, so I'm beginning to give lessons in my craft. Adobe photoshop lessons, as well as digital scrapbooking, also if you just need to know how to use a SRL Camera i can help you out.

Graphic Design is also a big part of today's society, and my ability to turn a concept into a great piece of work is amazing! Album Covers, Band Photography

I would absolutely LOVE for you to check out my website
    ( http://ckimages. ulmb. com ), and tell me what you think of my work!

I also have some work for sale at Ripple City (downtown Greenville) if you are interested in buying prints.

Framed pieces run from $100-$150 and prints, $15-$60

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have, and please please please check out my website, leave feedback, schedule appointments, spread the WORD, or just look at some amazing local art!

Sincerely,

CK Images
    Crystal Kuegel
    crystal.kuegel@gmail.com
    http://ckimages. ulmb. com
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2008
    Triad NC here...1st post too
  • Options
    madrustymadrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Carolina Nature Photographers
    I live near Asheville and am a member of CNPA (Carolina Nature Photographers Assoc). Website is www.cnpa.org
    There are several regions throughout North and South Carolina, with the Asheville region being the most active. Great talent here.
    CNPA is of course nature related but I'm also a member of f32
    http://www.f32nc.com/ which has a more artsy feel. You will frequently see same people at both meetings. f32 does a lot of exhibits and shows.

Both groups have a lot of talented people who are willing to help each other. CNPA does a lot of field trips, especially this time of year.

Kim
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Just south of Charlotte. I'll be heading out to Brevard in early November for a week to shoot waterfalls.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Just south of Charlotte. I'll be heading out to Brevard in early November for a week to shoot waterfalls.

Let me know if you'd like some company.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I'm in Cary just next to Raleigh. I spend a fair amount of time up in Boone also.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    kundalini wrote:

NateWagner wrote:
    well, I don't live in ashville, but I'm in Johnson City, TN which is about an hour or two away, and I love to go down the Blue Ridge Parkway for photos etc.

Im not to far from Bristol/Kingsport TN. :) NC is one of my favourite states for scenery. We spent a week an hour west of boone NC last summer camping. :D I forget the name fo the campground but it was a state one. Great scenery there!