Options

Panning

pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited December 30, 2007 in Technique
I went to the wrestling practice at my hs today, and I tried to do some panning shots as they conditioned. I just tried to follow the subject as the shutter was opened, using a tripod, but it came out as the equivalent of hand blur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12023030@N06/2143844753/

Someone please tell me the proper techniques of panning and how long the shutter should be open for.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Looks to be too long an exposure to me. Will vary with subject matter. Cars on a racetrack pan well at about 1/100th. Slower is possible, but becomes harder to keep car in focus. For people action, I think 1/30th or so is a good starting point. Slower is possible, but keep in mind that if the subject is moving a lot on other planes, the pan will include that blur. A race car works well because the entire car is moving as a single unit. A runner will have flailing arms/legs/etc. which will blur in the process. Another approach might be to pan as you originally did, but use a flash burst during the exposure to freeze at a single point.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2007
    Thanks. And also, its easiest when the subject is going laterally, rather than diagonally or something? And yea i guess i just gotta use a faster shutter, cause I tried to use about 1.5 or so seconds...thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 28, 2007
    1.5 seconds is waaaaa...aaaay too slow for panning, except MAYBE for a train on rails or a car on a smooth track. Think 1/15th or faster for people.

2nd curtain flash can help in these kinds of shots. A burst of light just before the shutter slams closed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Also remember to follow through, like a golf swing.
    Don't stop abruptly after you release the shutter.

Lets see what you end up with.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Thanks guys, I'm going to make my brother run around once he comes home so i can get him lol. And I'll be sure to post. And happy almost New Years!