Options

one shot from the drag races

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 14, 2005 in Sports
Still amazed by how much easier it is to use the 20D over the 828.

17432592-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Still amazed at that capture... simply amazing! Pan shot I assume? Nice timing on that photo. The bike is 100% in focus except for the wheels.

What lens was that taken with? 70-200 IS? :jawdrop :jawdrop
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Yup, 70-200 IS L 2.8 and yes it was a pan. It was from quite a distance too so I used the 1.4x TC.

Simply cannot wait until the real race season starts
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    That's a great shot, thumb.gif .

Shay.
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Incredible. Makes you stare at it forever!! clap.gifclap.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 14, 2005
    Very nice Brandon thumb.gifthumb.gif

Not that the 828 is chopped liver, but the 20D really is a better tool for this task. Especially if you can get 450mm's of reach clap.gif

Thanks for sharing and we're all waiting for the season to start too mwink.gif I think you're gonna kick some serious butt thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Very nice, BB! So spill it - what was your distance to subject and shutter speed?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    20D
    70-200 IS L 2.8
    1.4x TC
    IS set to "2"
    160th
    ISO 100
    F/4.5

Distance.....whoooboy that was far away. You can see in this shot while zoomed out:
    http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/432881/7/17507020
    how small he was from where I was standing for that race. And no, while I did crop the shot it was due to me not holding the camera level, the rotation was 2 degrees CC and then cropped out the white from the rotation.

I think I need to get a ND filter and shoot at a lower numbered F stop to get a better blur in the background in the future. I know I can't get much lower with the TC on but during the season I can get ALOT closer to the track.

wxwax wrote:
    Very nice, BB! So spill it - what was your distance to subject and shutter speed?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    20D

I think I need to get a ND filter and shoot at a lower numbered F stop to get a better blur in the background in the future. I know I can't get much lower with the TC on but during the season I can get ALOT closer to the track.
    headscratch.gif I don't follow you. Is there something about the 1.4x tc that doesn't allow you to simply set a smaller aperature? A smaller aperature will force a slower shutter speed, and give you the greater blur you want, no? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 14, 2005
    Sid,

I'm not sure, but I think he's concerned about already losing a stop with the 1.4X and then using an ND to stop down further, which may have an adverse effect on AF speed/accuracy. Even a 1 stop ND with the 1.4X, will have him at F5.6 wide open. A 2 stop ND, will put him over the AF aperture limit (welcome to the twilight zone, where your camera may or may not auto focus ;-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    The 70-200 is a 2.8 lens, but when you put the 1.4x TC on it you are forced to F/4 to start with. I want to have more focus on a single rider during the head on shots so the pics are more "3d" in look. I don't mind stopping it down to f/5.6 for the group shots so all the riders stay in focus, especially during a crash situation or when they are all bunched up at the start of a race.

The real trick will be opening it up without the TC for when I am right alongside the track at f/2.8 or 3.5 without speeding the shutter up over 1/500th...that is when I have noticed you can see tread patterns again and that is just badness.

wxwax wrote:
    headscratch.gif I don't follow you. Is there something about the 1.4x tc that doesn't allow you to simply set a smaller aperature? A smaller aperature will force a slower shutter speed, and give you the greater blur you want, no? ne_nau.gif