Options

Upsizing Images in LR (to make sure file size is 4MB+)

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Finishing School
I recently found out (thanks to CatOne) that you can upsize images in Lightroom when exporting by simply adjusting the output dimensions in the screen grab posted below.

Question:
Say I have an image (1506 x 2266) and I want to upsize it to ensure ppl are able to d/l "high res" 4MB+ images are available.

How do I go about this retaining the same aspect ratio? I always crop using a fixed aspect ratio in case someone wants to print and frame so it's not a major hassle and they don't have to have any image modification knowledge.

How do I asl ensure the image size is 4MB+ as well? It seems rudimentary, but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Cheers,
-Jon

Comments

• Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Ba-dump Bump.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Constrain has to be on of course.

You'll have to do the math yourself to find out the number of pixels that will upsize to the final you want (4mb+ whatever that means).

You really want to be working with pixels (length by width) not file size. That tells us very little about what you can reproduce when you print the image. A 4mb file could be one inch or 10 inches in size depending on the total number of pixels you have (and that's why LR is showing you this). You need to divide up the total pixels by the output resolution to get a size.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    If you are referring to the SmugMug digital downloads, Hi-Res is 4MP, not 4MB.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2007
    Thanks for the correction Ivar.
    Andrew, I didn't see a constrain option so I guess math will have to do.

So my question is what is the math to find out what MP are. I think it's just x*y=MP but I ant to make sure I'm not overlooking something. If it's x*y I can just write a script and can keep this process automated in LR. Just like the send to SmugMug API. I have a business partner that can create an API that will do this as long as I know how. I don't want to bother him until I know how this works for a fact though.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2007
    Perfect Ivar.

Cheers!
    -Jon